Respected Contributor

Zatarain's boxed rice mixes

[ Edited ]

Does anyone else use these varieties of rice mixes to go with certain dinners?

I'm about to prepare probably our 100th meal with one--Rice Pilaf-- to serve along with salmon and a vegetable or salad.  Plan to add frozen peas to the rice.

Suggestions are on the boxes for meats and/ or veggies that can be added

My pantry currently contains Yellow Rice, Spanish Rice, Jambalaya, Red Beans & Rice, Rice Pilaf, Long Grain & Wild Rice.

Would like to know if you all use them and what you do with them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Zatarain's boxed rice mixes

I have used some.  Not much you can do with a rice dish.  I use them as a side in place of potatoes.  Some times in a casserole with meat and veggies.  

Honored Contributor

@novamc1  Yes, we use the Jambalaya.

Trusted Contributor

I use the dirty rice mix to make a one pot dinner.

Brown 1 pound of hamburger or sausage with some onion.  Add half a package of any frozen veggie you like.  (I use the mixed veggies), add the rice mix and whatever amount of water it calls for and cook whatever it says on the box.  Turns out perfect every time.

I mostly use this recipe with the dirty rice mix but have done with with all the ones you have in your pantry and they have all turned out great.  Plus it makes excellent leftovers. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Forgot to mention that Zatarain's rice includes many  other varieties I didn't list.  

Check their website to see all of them.

Honored Contributor

I use the Red Beans & Rice all the time as a main course.  Add cooked and sliced Kielbasa and eat with cornbread.

Honored Contributor

I have tried them a few times. They are too salty for me, even the lower sodium variety.

I love red beans and rice, but found there were so few beans in the mix.  I added more non salted red beans, but it was still too salty.

I have to say that I do not like salt, so for many people it might be okay for them.

Respected Contributor

I have never tried Zatarain's, but I will check them out when I am doing my next grocery order. We tried Rice-a-Roni during the lockdown and enjoyed it for a change of pace.

Honored Contributor

I've used the Dirty Rice when we still had kids home, so it's been awhile.  I wouldn't buy it now since we don't eat rice anymore.  

Respected Contributor

Zatarain's Cilantro Lime is my favorite thing!!

If I have leftover chicken I chop it up & add it the the rice with a can of petite diced tomatoes with chilies are a jar of salsa, can of corn & a can of black beans!

Put some sour cream on top.

Eat it by the bowl or dip my chips into it.

I know what I am fixing this week!