Valued Contributor

ZUKE RECIPE NEIGHBER GAVE ME A 5 POUND ONE YIKES

Honored Contributor

Re: ZUKE RECIPE NEIGHBER GAVE ME A 5 POUND ONE YIKES

ONE  five-pound zucchini?  Wouldn't think that would be good to eat--too overgrown. 

Honored Contributor

We have a countertop island in our break room at work.    Rules are, anything on the island is fair game.    People bring in leftover birthday cake, stuff like that.  

Always cracks me up when I find a bag of HUGE cucumbers, squash or zucchini--not worth eating, bitter, tasteless

Honored Contributor

I hate veggies that size, and instead of being impressed by the size, I think along the lines someone wasn't keeping an eye on their garden and picking things at their peak.   

My brother and I had to check the cucumbers, squash, and zucchini in our garden every single day, as our parents didn't want any supersize veggies.   Mom had a size limit with what she would work with as far as canning.   After Mom had pickled all she was going to, shared plenty with family and friends, and filled our fridge crisper drawers, the last big ones on the dying vines were given to the hogs.   

Trusted Contributor

Hate to say it but I agree with the other posters. From my experience that zucchini is probably not going to be worth prepping and eating. Even at 2 or 3 lbs the texture changes to dry.

If you or someone you know has chickens, feed it to them; they will enjoy it.

Respected Contributor

@elizabethl123

That recipe looks delicious, I printed it out.

I do agree with other posters about overgrown zucchini.

Honored Contributor

I would have left that monster on the vine, and let it get as big as it could--just for fun!!

Respected Contributor

I agree with everyone else--smaller isn't always better but it is with zucchini.

If you can't bear to toss it ,cut it in 1/2 lengthwise and scoop out all the seeds before you cook it. You may want to think of making a nice stuffing with sausage and filling both halves then baking/steaming. You would have a pretty nice and easy dinner.

Respected Contributor

I saw a recipe at King Arthur Flour for chocolate zuke bread, & it sounded SO good! They have a lot of really good recipes at that site.