Esteemed Contributor

Do you "flavor" your potatoes for potato salad?

Here is Jayne Brown's recipe from her blog.

Sensational Spring Potato Salad

Ingredients:

1 lb. cooked potatoes, peeled, cubed to bite sizes pieces

1 cup chopped celery

¼ cup chopped red onion

3 tb.  mayo (add more if you like a creamier consistency)

2 tsp. celery salt

1 tsp.  dried dill

1 tb. Seasoned Salt

3 tb.  Relish

2 tb. Dijon mustard

Hard-boiled eggs

Recipe:

• Season cooked potatoes with celery salt, seasoned salt & dill
  • Mix in celery, onions, relish, mustard & mayo.
  • Refrigerate
  • Garnish with sliced hard-boiled egg.  

Enjoy!

Jayne

Respected Contributor

Re: Your potato salad recipe...

I was told to use Duke's mayo, has anyone heard of it?

Honored Contributor

I saw her recipe on the QVC blog, but passed it by. While many people would like this Potato salad, I probably would not.

First, it contains onions.  I love  onions, but not in potato salad.  After the salad sits, the onion flavor become too Strong and overpowering.

Second, I prefer salad dressing, not mayo for making potato salad.  Mayo is too bland and doesn't have enough flavor.

Third and Fourth, No relish in potato salad for me, but okay for macaroni salad. Also it  needs chopped HB eggs, they are an important ingredient, not a garnish.

Everyone's  taste is different...enjoy whatever you like..summer is a coming...Yeah!!

Honored Contributor

@panda1234  Duke's mayo is delicious.  I buy it all of the time.  it is close in flavor  to Hellmanns  .  Much better than Krafts.

Honored Contributor

I thought her (Jayne's) recipe sounded fine, but pretty basic.

Honored Contributor

Duke’s Mayo is ubiquitous in the south but Hellmann does quite nicely too. Dukes is available on Amazon if you want to try it out. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:
Also it  needs chopped HB eggs, they are an important ingredient, not a garnish.

I have never in my 68 yrs heard of anyone using HB eggs as a garnish on potato salad.  Matter of fact I have never "seen" a HB egg garnished potato salad.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sometimes, I use a tip I saw years ago  for seasoning potato salad.

I use a very small amount of Italian oil/vinegar type dressing on the warm potatoes, gently toss them and then refrigerate before later adding celery, spring onions, and a mixture of mayo (always Dukes or Hellmanns) and a little mustard.

Dill is always good in that type of salad, too.

Sometimes, I add chopped hard-cooked eggs.   If I want the salad to stick around for a couple of days, I'd prefer not to include eggs.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Duke's mayonnaise is available in many places besides the south.  By popular demand, I guess, the stores in the Wash DC area started carrying it many years ago.

I'd check your local grocery store before ordering from Amazon.  That brand might be on the  shelf, but not be given much space compared to the better-known brands.

Duke's supposedly doesn't contain as much sugar as Hellmann's, if I recall correctly.  I think it has a creamier texture.

Esteemed Contributor

We wouldn't entertain the idea of putting PS on the table unless it had sliced hard boiled eggs on top in an arranged pattern and sprinkled with parsley and paprika.  A beautiful dish...........and so summer tasty!