Valued Contributor

Your favorite cookie recipe please??

Hello everyone, I've been kinda MIA my health has not been good!! plus low iron and my thyroid is off ..Iv had no energy!! I'm just pooped..

But its getting closer to Christmas, i was wondering if anyone has a favorite cookie they bake every year ?? and they would love to share, thanks so much,

Merry Christmas Everyone,

Britt

Respected Contributor

Re: Your favorite cookie recipe please??

Britt, while not my favorite, per se, here is one that should be quick and easy for you:

Viennese Crescents

Confectioners’ sugar

1 cup all-purpose flour

½ cup butter, softened

½ cup blanched almonds, ground

1 teaspoon almond extract

1/4 teaspoon salt

Two hours before serving, or up to 2 weeks ahead:

Preheat oven 325º.

Grease large cookie sheet. In large bowl, by hand, mix 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar with remaining ingredients until well blended.

With hands, shape 1 teaspoon cookie dough into 1 ½” crescents. Place onto cookie sheet, 1" apart. Bake 20 minutes or ‘til lightly golden. Remove cookies to wire racks, cool completely.

Store crescents in tightly covered container. Just before serving, roll in confectioners’ sugar.

Yield: appx. 3 dozen.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Valued Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brit,

Funny thing: my favorite is melt in your mouth Swedish Crescent Cookie. I hope you're able to try it some day. They disappear around my house.

Swedish Crescent Cookies

1 cup pecans

1-1/3 cup powdered sugar

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1 Tbs. vanilla extract

1/8 tsp. salt

1 Tbs. water

2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into 16 equal pats

Install the metal blade in your food processor to process the pecans, flour and salt, until the pecans are finely chopped, about 30 seconds. Remove to a bowl. Process the butter and 1 cup of the sugar until smooth and creamy, about 20 seconds, stopping to scrape down the bowl as necessary. Add the vanilla and water and process for 3 seconds. Add the reserved pecan-flour mixture and pulse 10-12 times or until well mixed, stopping to scrape down the bowl as necessary. Wrap dough well in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 325.

Shape about 1 heaping (measuring) teaspoon of dough at a time into a crescent shape. Place about 1-1/2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake in the center of the preheated oven until firm, but not brown, 12-15 minutes. Place cookies on a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with remaining powdered sugar, while still warm. Makes about 6 dozen cookies. (I usually get less.)

Enjoy! 12/16/14

Valued Contributor

sfnative, Now that sounds so good!! I'm going to make them!!! Thanks, britt

Honored Contributor

One of my favorites is PEANUT BUTTER SECRETS.

1 cup butter Crisco

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla

2 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

40-45 miniature peanut butter cups per batch

Wrap dough around peanut butter cups

bake 375 on greased sheet for 8-10 minutes

There is a glaze you can make but I like them

better without.

Glaze

1 tsp butter Crisco

1 cup semi-sweet choc chips

2 tlbs creamy peanut butter

Super Contributor

My mom always made these. The recipe is from her grandmother who was born 137 years ago. How's that for a reality-check?

They're not Christmas cookies, per se, but they are really, really yummy. I've used colored sugars, but they're kinda meh. I have coarse, sanding sugar which I will use this week. The lemon is very subtle. If you'd like you can add more lemon rind to the cookies, or add some to your sugar. I was just thinking, putting the squeezed-out rind in a zip-lock bag with the sugar would give it a nice tang. Hmmm. Will have to try THAT!

Enjoy!!

MOM’S RAISIN COOKIES

½ cup butter or margarine (I always use butter - Crisco just won't do it)

¾ cup granulated sugar

1 lg egg

1 Tbsp milk

1 tsp lemon juice (you can use more if you'd like)

2 tsp lemon rind (use more for a stronger lemon flavor)

1 ½ cup SIFTED flour (makes a difference)

¼ tsp baking POWDER

¼ tsp salt

2 cup golden raisins (dark ones don’t work)

Cream butter, sugar and egg.

Add milk lemon juice and rind.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.

Add and stir well to mix.

Stir in raisins.

Chill well.

Form dough into walnut-sized balls.

Flatten w/glass-bottom dipped in sugar.

Bake at 425 for 5-7 minutes.

Edges should be brown, but centers not so much.

Make 3 dozen.

I actually make smaller balls so I can get more cookies.

Each one is a bite or two.

Valued Contributor

Martie, wow sounds delicious and yummy ..and ty for sharing such a heart felt recipe,, i am honored to bake them ty

Britt

Super Contributor

SnickerDoodles
makes about 6 dozen

3 C. all-purpose flour
2 t. cream of tartar
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1-1/2 C. sugar
1/2 C. butter, softened
1/2 C. shortening
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
3 T. sugar
1 T. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and lightly grease baking sheets. Combine flour, cream of tartar, soda, and salt; set aside. Cream sugar, butter and shortening. Beat in eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy. Stir in flour mixture just until blended.

Combine 3 T. sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar-cinnamon mixture to coat. If dough is too soft to handle, dust hands lightly with sugar-cinnamon mixture. Place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart.

Bake 6-7 minutes or until set around the edges. The center of the cookie will be soft. Cool on wire rack.

Removing them from the oven when the centers appear not quite done gives the perfect chewy center/crispy edge cookie