Honored Contributor

AND the cream and the coffee and the CHOCOLATE!

(And Mr. Drythe)  

Ah, the memories you must have.

I love seeing and sharing happy lives and happy memories. Thank you, @Drythe Heart (That's a chocolate heart this time.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: Your favorite cake

[ Edited ]

I'm not a big cake person but I love a cake my grandmother made that she called a Potato Cake.   It was basically a light spice cake with cocoa, chopped pecans and a cup of mashed potatoes.   It had a butter cream frosting. 

Of course, it was from scratch and I've made it that way but I've also cheated by using a box white cake mix and Bob Evans mashed pots.   It's still great that way.  

But, give me a fresh cherry pie or lemon cream (milk instead of water) merengue pie or chocolate cream pie anyday.

On another note, I read years ago the the correct name is : German's Choc Cake because that was the last name of the man who came up with it.   Not German because it was first made in Germany.   Does anyone know if that is true?

Honored Contributor

I rarely eat cake, but I'm another carrot cake lover. Heart

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

Banana Spilt Cake (aka Better Than Sex Cake)

@Mary Bailey, never had it (the cakeWoman Embarassed) sounds interesting; can you give us the recipe?

@eddyandme  we had this a lot in the 80's!

Banana Split Cake (Better Than Sex Cake) 

buttered 9 x 13 pan

1 Jar whole cherries

1 Large Cool Whip

2 Sticks butter softened

2 eggs

4 Large Bananas

1 Can (16 oz) Crushed pineapple drained (reserve juice)

2 C powdered sugar

1 T vanilla

crushed nuts

2 C graham cracker crumbs

3/4 C melted butter

1 T vanilla 

press into buttered 9 x 13 pan  set aside

Beat until smooth: 2 sticks softened butter, 2 eggs, 1T vanilla, 2 Cups powdered sugar.  Spread over graham cracker crust.

Slice bananas thin, dip into pineapple juice & dry off.  Spread over butter mixture, overlap edges.

Spoon crushed pineapple over bananas

Spread Cool Whip over pineapple.

Sprinkle chopped nuts over cool whip

Place whole cherries one by one over cool whip/nuts layer.  Wipe off spoon after each cherry (to limit red liquid on cool whip)

I make this same very recipe.  I always add chocolate syrup dripped over the bananas and sometimes some sliced strawberries...not in the original recipe, but my addition.

Often I make it in two 8 or 9 inch square pans and freeze for later.  You must store this cake in the fridge or freezer.  It's a family favorite here.

Honored Contributor

I don't really like traditional cake, especially the frosting.  If I had to choose, cheesecake would have to be it.

I remember pound cake as being pretty good too from years ago.  I have been gluten free for 35 years now.

Esteemed Contributor

@RoseRed wrote:

Black Forest Cake is my favorite!

@RoseRed  Mine too!  For me nothing compares.

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

This may not be my "favorite" cake, but it is the most recent.  I just gave this for a grandchild's birthday cake.  It got dinged around a little in transport, but we were able to 'make do' enough to elicit a big smile and hug Heart from the recipient.  

Chess cake.jpg

@IamMrsG    Wow! 

Respected Contributor

Thank you, @alliswell.  It was a labor of love for my grandchild's birthday.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Antonella's banana cake.  I don't mix by hand as she suggests, but with my Kitchen Aid.  Not strong enough, those Italian women must have built up their stamina over the years doing this.

Honored Contributor

Chocolate cake with mocha frosting.

German chocolate cake.

My favorite treat is a slightly chewy brownie with or without frosting.  😋