Valued Contributor

Black magic cake from allrecipes.com with a mocha frosting

carrot or rustic apple cake

my husband likes his mom's chocolate chip date cake  ( their family favorite)

for me, rarely use a box cake and never cool chip or instant puddings.  I love to bake so I'm all about scratch!  

Super Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@tiny 2  I just texted my friend because I found in the liquor cabinet Grenadine Surup and I thought that was in the cake but this recipe doesn't call for it.  Let's see if she sends me a yes or no!  Ha!  So weird the way after all these years she guards that recipe!  Funny weird.  My girls are like her own daughters.  I think she just wants to make the cake herself but it's not like my daughter's getting married any time soon.  Ha!

Anyway, I'm becoming obessed with this cake!  See how I am...should I say thanks?  Ha!  Will get back to you.  Be safe and take care.

I'm surprised at all of the alcohol in it.  I guess it burns off?  I don't drink anymore, never was much of a drinker but I have a full liquor cabinet.  My husband died in 2004 so it's been in there ever since.

While looking just now, I almost knocked over a huge bottle of Crown Royal (his favorite...straight). He'd probably haunt me from Heaven if I broke the @#$% thing!  Ha!

Just read this and dug into my OLD recipe box and found this from about 40 years ago! My BF gave me this when I was in high school-it calls for an Orange cake mix 181/2 oz, but everything else is the same as the one you posted! Maybe the Orange cake mix gave it the color that you thought came from the Grenadine? Just a thought! Thanks for mentioning this cake,I'm going to make it!

Honored Contributor

I would love yellow cake with buttercream frosting. SImple but tastes the very best! Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Occasional Contributor

I also used to make what we referred to as Banana Split Dessert but stopped due to the raw eggs.  I modified the recipe as follows and it is very good in my opinion....

In a 9x13 pan, melt 1 stick butter. Sprinkle about 2 c crushed graham crackers over to make a crust.  Set aside.

Drain one large can crushed pineapple and set aside.

In a bowl, combine the following and beat with an electric hand beater until smooth:

1. 1 3.4 oz box instant sugar free white chocolate pudding mix.  I suspect you could use non sugar free, and flavors such as vanilla or lemon.

2. 1, 8 oz pkg softened cream cheese

3. 2.5 - 3 cups milk. 2% or whole 

4. 3/4 to 1 cup powdered sugar

For the right consistency you may need to add a little more milk. For sweetness, a little more powdered sugar

Spread above over graham cracker crust.  Slice 4-5 bananas over the top.  Spread crushed pineapple over.  Frost with 8oz container cool whip. Sprinkle 3/4 c chopped walnuts on top if desired.  Randomly place maraschino cherries on top.  I normally take these out of the jar and pat on a paper towel to absorb the juice so it doesn’t run all over. Refrigerate. Because the bananas will get dark, I normally make this in the morning, the day it will be served.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner 

I love both of those.   

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG   Wow, what a good looking cake!

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   Thank you for the compliment.  It was a labor of love and a learning experience.  I suppose it's a typical reaction, but after the first one, I always think I could have, should have, done better.   Then it got jostled in transport, so I hesitated even sharing the photo.

The chess pieces and board squares were solid chocolate and took about two weeks to finish.  The 12x12" sponge was, if I remember correctly, 3 batches of batter -- a big and heavy cake.

No matter the time or work, our grandson's (a 9 yr old whiz kid) reaction made it all worthwhile.  Woman Happy

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

A REAL Black Forest Cake!  DARK dark chocolate, real cherries soaked in Kirsch, Kirsch syrup on the cake layers, REAL whipped cream with a little Kirsch in it. GOODNESS GRACIOUS in every bite!!!

If I am making a cake, I'd almost always make a yellow cake with chocolate (milk chocolate) icing.  

OR if I am very ambitious a REAL caramel cake with that cooked browned sugar icing.  Real butter.  Salt, fat and sugar!!!  The three food groups all in one spectacular bite! 

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG    that was a labor of love.  Reminded me of my dad, he loved playing chess.  I am sure your grandson appreicated your efforts.  You have helped me several times with cooking/recipe issue...you must be a great cook as well!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your favorite cake

[ Edited ]

For me, any cake with CHOCOLATE in it, around it, under it, on top of it, in the middle of it, whew! I don't eat sweets often, but when I do, some kind of chocolate cake is usually my first choice. Those cakes are BEAUTIFUL!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖