Respected Contributor

Your Favorite Way to Make Corn on the Cob?

Microwave?  Steam?  Grill?  Oven roasted?  Instant Pot?  Boil?

My method is to fill a large pot about 3/4 full of water and bring it to a boil. Stir in 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, dissolving the sugar.  Add the ears of corn (minus the husks and silk), into the boiling water, cover the pot, turn off the heat, and let the corn cook in the hot water until tender, about 10 minutes.

Super Contributor

Re: Your Favorite Way to Make Corn on the Cob?

Fresh husked ears, boil for 5 minutes in a little salted H20! Sweet, tender summer corn is so goodSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Boil water in a pot.  shuck and de silk corn ears  Place in boiling water. cover.  Turn OFF heat.  let stand for 3 minutes and enjoy.

Esteemed Contributor

@alliswell  Set the pot on the stove to boil. Go out and pick the corn and husk it. Put the corn into the boiling water - about 5 or 6 ears at a time for an 8 qt. pot (so that the boiling barely stops). Cover and boil for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from pot to a plate and immediately run cold water over the corn to cool enough to handle.

Honored Contributor

remove husks

boil salted water

reduce heat to a simmer

add corn, half n half or cream, small amount of sugar.

simmer for about 10 minutes.

enjoy corn with lots of good irish butter and some sea salt.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

When I boil the corn it is for three minutes. I knew about microwaving but never tried it. So I shucked two ears of corn, wrapped each in a damp paper towel and microwaved them together for three minutes. Came out perfect. And just as good as boiling. I was really surprised.

Honored Contributor

I just follow what my mother did.  Husk, boil corn in inch of water. Once boiling turn corn over, turn off heat and add lid.  I have no exact recipe, just follow those steps. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't really have a "favorite" way to cook corn on the cob.

However ....  I wanted to pass this on .....   a few years back, I was at a barbecue and one thing surprised me .... the host had a large tub of whipped cream cheese for everyone to spread all over the cobs, just like you would butter.   

It was beyond delicious .....  cream corn on the cob!  

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  Since it's just me eating corn I wrap a ear in plastic wrap and cook it in the microwave on vegetable setting. If I don't want the cob I cut it off the ear and into a small Pyrex container with top and do the same.  

Honored Contributor

I don't eat corn on the cob because I hate the way it gets between my teeth.  I cut the corn off the cob.  Then I melt some Kerrygold butter in a skillet, add the corn kernels, a pinch of smoked paprika to taste and salt and just heat.   I love raw corn in salads also.