Honored Contributor

You know those peacan sandies cookies from the store?

I sure wish I had a recipe that  I could make those for myself.  Does anyone have a tried and true one they use?  TYI A. 

Respected Contributor

Re: You know those peacan sandies cookies from the store?

Oh my gosh it’s been many years since I’ve had those, but they are good aren’t they ! Id like a recipe too 😋

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

PECAN BALLS (or make them into crescent shaped cookies)

1 Cup Butter

1/2 Cup Sugar

2 tsp. Vanilla (Real, not flavoring)

1/4 tsp. Salt

3/4 Cup Chopped Pecans (or Walnuts)

2 Cups Flour

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Sift in flour and salt. Stir until well mixed. Add in nuts. Refrigerate at least one hour.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Roll dough balls into 1" balls and place on an UNgreased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes (NOT brown). Cool slightly on wire rack.

While warm, roll balls in a bowl of powered sugar. Cool and store in an airtight container. (Mine never last long enough to store!) ENJOY!

These are also called: Southern Butter Balls, Russian Tea Cakes, Mexican Wedding Cakes, and many other names.

Other variations can be found on-line. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady

This one is a must for our family for as far back as I can remember, for the holidays. Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe 😀

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

1 1/2 cups ground pecan halves ( I grind in food processor)

1/4 cup powdered sugar

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1 1/2 cups flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

12 tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes

1 egg yolk

Pulse ground pecans, sugars, flour, and salt in processor about a dozen times.  Scatter butter cubes over mixture in processor and pulse about 18 times (until it looks like damp sand).  Pour yolk into mixture in running processor until dough forms rough ball.

Gently knead dough on dry surface until evenly moist and sticking together.  Roll dough into 12" log and cut in half.  Wrap each half in plastic wrap and freeze about half an hour.  Take out of freezer, unwrap, and reroll into logs with rounded ends.  Rewrap in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Unwrap dough, cut into 1/4" slices, and place about 3/4" apart on greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 325 degrees about 24 minutes until edges are golden brown.  Yum! 

Respected Contributor

My recipie is similar. I use

1cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
Chopped nuts-walnuts or pecans.

These don't brown. I would check them and if they were browning slightly on the bottom I would pull them out. Roll in powdered sugar

Contributor

These are one of our all time favorite cookies, I make a lot of them for Christmas... well worth the effort Smiley Happy

Maple Pecan Sandies

These buttery, subtly maple-flavored cookies are the best pecan sandies you've ever tasted.

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups pecans, coarsely chopped

1. In a medium bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Gradually beat in the sugar until well blended.

2. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk with the maple syrup and vanilla. Drizzle the egg-yolk mixture into the butter, beating at low speed until incorporated.

3. Stir in the flour and pecans. Divide the dough in half and shape into 2 disks. Wrap each disk in plastic and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight. Let the dough stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before rolling it out.

4. Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Roll out each disk of dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut the dough into 2-inch rounds and transfer to baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden.

MAKE AHEAD:
The dough can be frozen for up to 1 month. The cookies will keep for up to 1 week in tightly sealed tins.

IMG_3172-1.jpg

Honored Contributor

Gosh!  Those were the first things I made as a junior in my first Home Ec. class!  LOL!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Gosh!  Those were the first things I made as a junior in my first Home Ec. class!  LOL!!!!!

@ECBG, wish I'd have had that class.  I remember a first hour either in "sewing" in Home Ec or "cooking", in which case we had to make Brussel Sprouts.  What teenager do you know who wants to eat Brussel sprouts at 9 a.m.?  Good Grief!!

Honored Contributor

Never took a Home Ec class. Figured I knew the basics, but to this day, I can't even sew on a button well.