Trusted Contributor

Re: YOUR THANKSGIVING DINNER 2016

DH & I do not have children; this year, we are invited to dinner on Thanksgiving Day to a niece's. We will have our own dinner the following weekend, hosting 2 of my husband's brothers who are now single. Menu will be pretty traditional: turkey (unsure if we'll do fresh or frozen), cornbread/fruit stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, squash, and pie (apple or pumpkin). We share cooking duties, & as much as possible will be done a day in advance. Spouse's big family has not been getting together much since both his Mom & Dad passed away, so we are trying to make sure we stay in touch when we can. Thanksgiving blessings to all.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Related image

Honored Contributor

Related image

Valued Contributor

Happy Thanksgiving @momtochloe!      I thought of you as I made my turkey😀.   I tried a couple of new pie ideas, this year. I just love to experiment.   I made a pumpkin pie mixing steamed pumpkin and my own candied sweet potatoes.   The flavor was really good and the texture was light because I sieved the mixture before pouring it into the pie shell.  However, my pre-baked pie shell needed help.  It shrunk!  I do not know why the sides shrink.  Any ideas?  And...  I made an apple pie by first vacuuming my apples in a food saver bag then pre-cooking them for an hour via the "souvide" style (I gave my self a portable souvide circulator a couple of years ago). Then, I dumped them into a big pot and cooked them till a syrup formed.   The baked apples in the pie had good firmness with a nice "gooey' syrup.  Nothing leaked out if my pie crust while baking!  (I usually have trouble with that.)

I hope you had a lovely day, my friend!  

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

@rrpell wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving @momtochloe!      I thought of you as I made my turkey😀.   I tried a couple of new pie ideas, this year. I just love to experiment.   I made a pumpkin pie mixing steamed pumpkin and my own candied sweet potatoes.   The flavor was really good and the texture was light because I sieved the mixture before pouring it into the pie shell.  However, my pre-baked pie shell needed help.  It shrunk!  I do not know why the sides shrink.  Any ideas?  And...  I made an apple pie by first vacuuming my apples in a food saver bag then pre-cooking them for an hour via the "souvide" style (I gave my self a portable souvide circulator a couple of years ago). Then, I dumped them into a big pot and cooked them till a syrup formed.   The baked apples in the pie had good firmness with a nice "gooey' syrup.  Nothing leaked out if my pie crust while baking!  (I usually have trouble with that.)

I hope you had a lovely day, my friend!  

And a very Happy Thanksgiving to you too @rrpell!  I have to say aside from a delicious sweet potato casserole things were marginal at best here but that's ok as I am an easy grader . . . Smiley Happy

I wish I could help you with whatever happened to your pie shell but to be honest baking is completely out of my area of knowledge.  Case in point, yesterday I managed to overbake a box mix of Ghiradelli brownies . . . Smiley Sad

But now I have to say, I have sous vide envy . . . ever since I saw Richard Blais use it on Top Chef that was it for me . . . how fabulous is it that you have one of your own!

Again, happy Thanksgiving my friend!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

You're not kidding there. Two of my cats are obsessed with dishes. It's kind of a pain when I leave them out to air dry. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

LOL ... someone has a sense of humor !!!Related image

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   I've really had some good laughs about your "Critter Wit" pictures.  That "deep fry the poodle" one is just so CAT!   Thanks.