Trusted Contributor

Re: YOUR MUST HAVE SEASONINGS & CONDIMENTS

@aroc3435...I love to chat food also! It's nice to have some cyber friends here to do that with. I will definitely try the summer savory. I went on Amazon and they had a few choices. I do tend to get in ruts with my cooking and you've given me some great ideas. I have done the Cincinnati chili before with the cinnamon-I liked that a lot. I'm enjoying everyone's posts on this subject!

Honored Contributor

I do not know what goes with what and some I have bought for a specific recipe.

I do try to buy what is deem good brands per taste test - but probably failing on most

My go to 

fresh garlic

EVOO

sea salt

flakey salt (I felt fancy when I bought that lol)

whole black pepper corns

thyme

paprika

Better Than Bullion

stuff in pantry when called for

bay leaves

rosemary

Tarragon 

curry powder

garlic powder

cumin

ginger powder

oregano

cayenne powder

Maille Dijon Mustard

Worcestershire Sauce

whole nutmeg

fresh ginger

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 

I guess I shiould have refer to some of the other posts since I'm doing this from memory.

As I'm reading - oooh, I got that - some I haven't used for a while and proably should toss - I read that they should be tossed after 6 months - yikes - 

Hoisin

oyster

soy

sesame oil

apple cider vinegar

jarred capers

tomato paste (spoonfuls w/mashed anchovies)

red pepper flakes

chili powder made using ingredients in my pantry

Honored Contributor

Black Pepper

Dill flakes

Italian seasoning

Paprika

Dried onion flakes

Chili powder

Taco seasoningget

I'm currently out of my favorite item because I get it at one of those huge supermarkets that I stopped shopping at once the virus hit our state. It's called Garlic Bread Seasoning and my DH prefers it sprinkled on lightly toasted bread instead of the frozen garlic bread I'd bake in the oven. I never looked at the ingredients but I'd guess it is parmesan cheese in powdered form, along with garlic powder.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG   I just searched for a substitute recipe for  you.  

Most of the websites sugggest a mixture of 1/2 cup of powdered Parmesan mixed with 2 Tbsps each of garlic powder, dried oregano, dried basil, and 2 tsps of dried parsley.  One also had 2 Tbsps of dried marjoram.  They then direct mixing 1 and 1/2 Tbsp of the mix with 1/2 cup of softened butter placed on your split loaf of Italian bread.  Wrap re-joined bread tightly in foil and warm in a preheated 375 degree oven.  (Or toast/broil open faced.)

A couple recipes had some kosher salt in the mix.  They suggest keeping a container tightly covered in the refrigerator and one said it would keep until the expiration date listed on the powdered cheese container (like Kraft) that you used.

Hope this helps.  Always frustrating to not find your favorites at the store.

Regards,

aroc3435 

Honored Contributor

Oh that sounds perfect @aroc3435 . I butter the toasted bread and can sprinkle on some homemade topping. The cheese needs to be very fine - I can run it through my Ninja when I mix it up. Thank you.