Respected Contributor

The worst soup (? ) ever. Lots of peeled garlic cloves boiled in water and a small amount of oil. When she ( will not mention who :-)  ) finished in my kitchen, the counters were greasy with oil. When it was served at the table, we made believe it was okay :-(  Never trusted her in my kitchen to make anything again.

Respected Contributor

I had an Aunt, Mom's older sister, who's " key lime pie" was lime jello in a baked pie crust 🤣! LOL...we ate it to be polite, but years later we were still joking about it. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Worst recipe

[ Edited ]

The worst meal I ever ate was when my DH's sister made Thanksgiving dinner one year.  She put a frozen turkey in her back seat and she and her DH drove hours and hours to our house with it back there.  The next day, she put that turkey in the oven and roasted it.  Holy smokes that turkey was so dry and it tasted like cardboard.  Between the heater on and off in the car and all those hours defrosting unrefrigerated in that back seat---holy salmonella!  I think the only thing that saved us from disaster is that nobody ate much of it and we politely threw the leftovers away.

Honored Contributor

Hahaha!! 

@Nonametoday!

I can't stop laughing!

"Paper and fish broth"lol!😂

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Yes, and I'm afraid it is mine.

When I was first married, we all were to bring a "dish." to my inlaws-our first dinner together!😬 Cooking has never been my favorite thing.

So I thought I would make a healthier version of pasta.

So I got some green noodles and made some kind of green noodle casserole concoction.

After that, I was asked to bring the soda only at every family get together since lol!

The other one is my southern grandmother would make us either a breakfast or her dinners for our birthday. We all loved everything she made so much.

One of these was her fried chicken.

The best you've ever tasted.

Anyway as she got on in years, we were all over for someone's birthday and a little while into the dinner we were all pretty much gasping for water. I hated water but like everyone else I was gulping down about 2 glasses asap.

Turns out she had accidently used the salt thinking it was the pepper and she had poured and poured.

(She of course used a lot of pepper always).

You have never tasted such salt in your life. A little chicken with the salt!

My brother in law said it had all the salt of the state of Utah lol!

And sadly that was the last time she made it because her eyes just were not what they used to be. 

I practiced her fried chicken many times til one day I actually made it pretty much like hers! I was so proud.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Flatbush wrote:

The worst soup (? ) ever. Lots of peeled garlic cloves boiled in water and a small amount of oil. When she ( will not mention who :-)  ) finished in my kitchen, the counters were greasy with oil. When it was served at the table, we made believe it was okay :-(  Never trusted her in my kitchen to make anything again.

@Flatbush she must have been the one that taught my husband to cook!  He's not allowed near the stove unless I am halfway to dead sick.

There is grease all over the stove, counter, backsplash and floor.  

He uses every utensil, bowl, pot and pan we own!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My mom used to make liver and onions----and gross Woman Madsloppy joes--gag, cough---choke--that i refused to eat----

Regular Contributor

My SIL once poisoned the entire family with her Thanksgiving turkey.

It was the first time she made one. Stuffed a large turkey that was still somewhat frozen, cooked it in the same oven as a smaller one and then took both turkeys out when the small one was done. When she scooped the stuffing out of the bird...out came with the neck,giblets etc the packet that's usually in the bird. I was never so sick in  my life. We wouldn't let her host another holiday meal for a LONG time. 

We laugh about it now though. We all love each other and guess this is how you learn. 

Honored Contributor

I think the worst thing I've ever eaten was my MIL's ham gravy.   My husband and daughters liked it, and my SIL makes it to this day.  

Once was enough for me!   I told my husband his mother should've bottled that stuff and sold it as a colonoscopy prep!   

Respected Contributor

I have been to potlucks where many rave about green bean cassarole and fill thier plates . My mother made it once when I was growing up and no one ever requested an encore Smiley Sad

Also the recipes from the 60's(?) popular in women's magazines made with usually lemon or lime Jello and savory items --yech!