Honored Contributor

I was reading the great posts about the favorite grandma or aunt recipes, and it triggered this memory. My great aunt was the sweetest woman, probably the nicest person in my dad's family. Once when she visited she made hamburger pie. It was some bisquick concoction, and it was gross. However, everyone loved Aunt Betty, so we raved about it, and she was so pleased, she made it every time she visited. We choked it down, and it was worth it , because she was a sweetie.  She is long gone , but that dish was a family joke for years ( in a kind way ). Do any of you have a bad family recipe to share ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I was reading the great posts about the favorite grandma or aunt recipes, and it triggered this memory. My great aunt was the sweetest woman, probably the nicest person in my dad's family. Once when she visited she made hamburger pie. It was some bisquick concoction, and it was gross. However, everyone loved Aunt Betty, so we raved about it, and she was so pleased, she made it every time she visited. We choked it down, and it was worth it , because she was a sweetie.  She is long gone , but that dish was a family joke for years ( in a kind way ). Do any of you have a bad family recipe to share ?

@QVCkitty1 

How sweet that you did that.  I think the worst recipe is something I ate at my church a few years ago.  I don't know what it was and I don't think anyone at my table knew either but I noticed, although I was finished with one bite, all the others at my table were as well and I wish I had a camera at that time to take a picture of one of the persnickety ladies when she bit into it.  I have no idea what it was made of.  Maybe paper and fish broth.  That's how bad it tasted and it looked like something like that.

Honored Contributor

Re: Worst recipe

[ Edited ]

When my mom would try to make Swiss Steak. We weren't allowed to be picky about foood so we choked it down (I drank a lot of milk to swallow it). It engendered a lifelong hate for that dish, the thought makes me gag. When I met my late DH I told him I would never, ever make it. Turns out he didn't like it anyway!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Bummer, one of the first things I cooked when I was a pre-teen or so was Bisquik Impossible Cheeseburger Pie.. I loved it LOL

Respected Contributor

Spoonburgers...ground beef, pork n beans mixed together served on yellow mustard coated hamburger buns. My Aunt made this special dish just for the kids everytime we came over, I hated it but ate it anyway to be polite...so gross.

Esteemed Contributor

Your treasured memory of your aunt made me smile, and think of my only aunt's holiday dinner disaster! She was young, and to help boost her kitchen confidence, she was entrusted with making the turkey and dressing. Bless her heart, but it was almost inedible. The turkey was all but dehydrated; think turkey jerky, and the dressing was literally cornbread SOUP! She cried and cried, and cried. I WANTED to cry as well, because my mother forced me to EAT it. She eventually learned to make some of the BEST dressing I have ever had, but THAT memory is one I would gladly sell if I could.😂

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Super Contributor

Whoo Boy !!!!!   I have two .....my aunt who hosted really nothing and was no cook would bring on occasion a crab dip......a block of cream cheese, a can of crab meat and a bottle of cocktail sauce.....maybe I should call it a dump rather a dip...she placed the brick of cream shhese on a plate and dumped the crab meat on top and them the coctail sauce on top....Ritz crackers on the side !!!

The other is chicken divan my Mom's stepmother would make.....no cook was she..this was .......well.....chicken tenders in Campbells mushroom gravy with broccoli florets......letting that sink in....we kids would pick thru it and then BEG my Mom to host the next dinner bc we "will lhelp Mom !!!!" .....which we always did...........I realize now that my Mom wanted to put them on blast and make them host something and bring a dish other than an Entenmens cake bc my Mom did a whole dinner with apps and dessert and as I have discovered "People are famous for being guests" and will show up with a six of beer and eat plenty !

Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

Your treasured memory of your aunt made me smile, and think of my only aunt's holiday dinner disaster! She was young, and to help boost her kitchen confidence, she was entrusted with making the turkey and dressing. Bless her heart, but it was almost inedible. The turkey was all but dehydrated; think turkey jerky, and the dressing was literally cornbread SOUP! She cried and cried, and cried. I WANTED to cry as well, because my mother forced me to EAT it. She eventually learned to make some of the BEST dressing I have ever had, but THAT memory is one I would gladly sell if I could.😂

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles  Aww, your poor aunt, turkey and dressing are tough, but we all have to learn.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles 

I questioned my step grandmother for several years to get the exact turkey recipe that was so very delicious 

I was the only one that had the recipe, not her son nor daughter. 

My stepmother is no longer in my life, but I make the turkey for Thanksgiving. 

Honored Contributor

There were a few things I couldn't stand to eat but I never asked how they were fixed.