Contributor

Wondering about some product reviews

I recently caught a presentation on a food show on Brie en croutes from a vendor in California called Elegant Brie. It looked very nice but pricey. I waited a few days and went back to watch the presentation again and noticed it had 5 5-star reviews. I was in kind of a rush but thought if that many people enjoyed it I'd get it for the holidays. After thinking about it I wondered how that many people could have received it so quickly and already written reviews. So I went back again for another look and saw all five were written on the same day. And while I can't recall exactly when it was on tv it seemed close to that date. I checked each reviewer and for each one it was the first and only review for any product on QVC by all of them. 

I don't know if it was a coincidence but it seems very peculiar to me and now makes me feel stupid for not realizing it before. And if it was the vendor who had friends or colleagues post these - wow!

Has anyone else noticed something like this before?

TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Wondering about some product reviews

[ Edited ]

Each review is also the ONLY review of the person who posted it and each reviewer's Active Since date is the same day the review was posted.

Yeah, I'd say those are all shady. They could be actual customers who have been buying and were asked to leave reviews by Elegant Brie, but if that's the case, the reviews should mention "I've been buying these direct from the company for years..." or something to that effect.

Contributor

I agree. If they had said as much, it would make sense. But the fact that all were posted they same day makes me question the integrity of the entire company. Just disappointing. 

But lesson learned. I won't be as naive the next time. 

Honored Contributor

@forest wrote:

I agree. If they had said as much, it would make sense. But the fact that all were posted they same day makes me question the integrity of the entire company. Just disappointing. 

But lesson learned. I won't be as naive the next time. 

I will say, since I had to look them up to check out your post, they do look amazing. If they're as good as they look, I don't think you'll be disappointed and then you can add your own review.

Honored Contributor

I won't mention which well-known beauty skin care line it was, but my BFF worked there for years until they closed the East Coast Office.

They had launched a line exclusive to Sephora geared towards the 'younger' consumer.

All employees were instructed to go to the Sephora website and leave 5 star reviews on each product.  They were never provided samples to test.  She wouldn't do it but most did.

Respected Contributor

I know this sort of thing goes on all the time, but it's very dishonest at best. No one should be allowed to leave a review on a product unless they have made a verified purchase.  Are you listening QVC?

Laura loves cats!
Contributor

But the point of having reviews is to receive feedback from others who have purchased the product. Is the sizing consistent or is the fabric quality appropriate for the price? Of course I can purchase it and post a review. But my expectations are that all the reviews are honest and from individuals who did so. This is especially important regarding food products because the cost is usually higher due to overnight shipping. 

Contributor

I called and spoke with someone who said she would pass it on but seemed very disinterested. I know my orders with QVC are at an all time low and only do a few a year. But this really disappointed me. 

Honored Contributor

@forest   @Go to reviews and mark each as "inappropriate"  with the reason.   You might also post under Customer Care and perhaps the mods can bring it to the attention of whomever checks these things.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@forestAgree with kenisha124, but I would also alert the mods.