Honored Contributor

With pulled pork or any other time you need barbecue sauce...

What's your favorite sauce to use? Your recipe? or bottled? Either one. If you make your own, would you care to share? Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

Re: With pulled pork or any other time you need barbecue sauce...

If I am making pulled pork in my pressure cooker (which I will be doing tonight), I usually just use Bull's Eye with hickory and brown sugar.

If I am smoking a pork butt in my smoker, I generally use a mustard-based sauce from South Carolina that I have shipped to me (Maurice's brand) or make my own (do not have a specific recipe).  Sometimes, I will also do a vinegar-based sauce which is common in North Carolina.

Valued Contributor

I use the one from Holly Clegg's cookbook.

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce

1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce

1/3 cup dark brown sugar

3 TBSP. cider vinegar

2 tsp. ground thyme

1 1/2 tsp. ground dry mustard

1 tsp. ground allspice

salt and pepper to taste.

Coat bottom of pan with cooking spray.  Saute onions 3 - 5 minutes over med. heat.  Add the rest of ingredients.  Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 to 15 minutes to thicken, uncovered.  Remove from heat and serve.  This makes a lot especially for two of us so I freeze in custard cups for later use.

Honored Contributor

Oh this is easy @qualitygal.  Hands down my fav that I never sway from is Sweet Baby Ray's - any flavor, all flavors, including their wing sauce.

Respected Contributor

Mrs Renfros.

We order it online from their website. I believe it is made in San Antonio (?).

We found it years ago at a small vegetable stand in a small town here in Texas. Tried it. It has been my family's favorite for years, even though there are plenty of BBQ places around here that also bottle their sauces for sale .... we still always go back to Mrs Renfros.

It is not too tangy or too sweet. Excellent for meats or even a BBQ baked potatoe with all the fixins! I do believe I have made myself hungry... 😀!!!

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

We use Sweet Baby Rays as well.   The only thing we use it for is slushburgers, hot wings, or ribs.  

For us you can over do it.   Our friends on the other hand sauce everything they BBQ.   They like Masterpiece.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I like sauces from some of the local BBQ places in Austin. I like Stubbs sauces in Original, Sweet Heat, or Sticky Sweet.

I also like to slow cook the pork in 12-oz of root beer. After I cook and shred the pork, I dump any liquid out of the cooker and fill it with the shredded pork. I pour the BBQ sauce over the pork, stir, and let cook for another 30 minutes or so.

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer a sweet barbecue vs the vinegar based.

Being from Kentucky, my family usually has on hand the Maker's Mark brand Barbecue Sauce and Gourmet Sauce.

Honored Contributor

I love Trader Joe's both their regular BBQ sauce and their Carolina Gold.

Honored Contributor

HEAD COUNTRY!  This is my far and away favorite bbq sauce.  Almost of all the others simply taste like sticky corn syrup to me.  HEAD COUNtRY is made in Ponca City Oklahoma, and the Head Country team has won a boat-load (big boat!  LOL!) full of trophies for their sauces over the years in competitions.

It is not as thick as many of today's sauces, not overly smoked, doesn't taste like brown sugar, and to me enhances the meat and isn't overwhelming while giving that spicy slightly sweet taste I associate with good sauce.

If you are having bbq, you don't want to obliterate the taste of the meat!