Honored Contributor

Re: With pulled pork or any other time you need barbecue sauce...

@Sooner wrote:

HEAD COUNTRY!  This is my far and away favorite bbq sauce.  Almost of all the others simply taste like sticky corn syrup to me.  HEAD COUNtRY is made in Ponca City Oklahoma, and the Head Country team has won a boat-load (big boat!  LOL!) full of trophies for their sauces over the years in competitions.

It is not as thick as many of today's sauces, not overly smoked, doesn't taste like brown sugar, and to me enhances the meat and isn't overwhelming while giving that spicy slightly sweet taste I associate with good sauce.

If you are having bbq, you don't want to obliterate the taste of the meat!

Oh my goodness @Sooner whenever I Google a brand it is never available in my area but this is sold just a few miles from me . . . thanks for the heads up, I smell BBQ in my near future . . . Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

KC Masterpiece Original, good smokey flavor. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

HEAD COUNTRY!  This is my far and away favorite bbq sauce.  Almost of all the others simply taste like sticky corn syrup to me.  HEAD COUNtRY is made in Ponca City Oklahoma, and the Head Country team has won a boat-load (big boat!  LOL!) full of trophies for their sauces over the years in competitions.

It is not as thick as many of today's sauces, not overly smoked, doesn't taste like brown sugar, and to me enhances the meat and isn't overwhelming while giving that spicy slightly sweet taste I associate with good sauce.

@Sooner YUM!!! Head Country. We have been using it for years. A guy DH works with used to make some that taste just like it. It makes a huge batch so we have never made it. If we ever move we will have to use the recipe since I know they don't sell this where we may move. Shipping might not be as bad now since they started putting it in the plastic bottles vs the glass.

Every time I go to Fl. I have to take about 10 large bottles & a couple of small bottles of Head Country for my dad, brothers & sisters. 

We also use Sweet Baby Ray's. It's the only other BBQ sauce we will use. Sometimes we need that thicker sauce.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Oh my goodness @Sooner whenever I Google a brand it is never available in my area but this is sold just a few miles from me . . . thanks for the heads up, I smell BBQ in my near future . . . Smiley Happy

I hope you like it!  I am not as fond of the Hickory one, but it is good for certain things.  THe originl is my favorite!  Let us know what you think.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  My son lives in ok and that is his sauce of choice too.He is a great cook and all of his friends say he mastered smoked ribs,brisket and pulled pork.He sent us a bottle  of the sauce once and I have to agree that while thin it is very good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@Sooner  My son lives in ok and that is his sauce of choice too.He is a great cook and all of his friends say he mastered smoked ribs,brisket and pulled pork.He sent us a bottle  of the sauce once and I have to agree that while thin it is very good.

@dex

You have a very talented son!  GOOD for him! I'll bet he is REALLY popular!

BBQ sauces were traditionally pretty thin out here in Texas and Oklahoma.  The sweet sticky stuff seemed to come along some time in maybe the late 1970's or 1980's?  I reember when Cattleman's sauce came out.  

Get him Paul Kirk's book on championship sauces and rubs.  It is EXCELLENT and will give him something to play around with to make that great bbq his own!  There is a aimple recipe in there for homemade catsup and you think, how good could that be?  Well, it is wonderful and fresh tasting and the basis for many homemade sauces.  It really shows you how to make a great rub to your taste too!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner@Thanks that book is a great Christmas gift idea.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The recipe I have for Barbecued Beef includes ingredients that make sauce while it's cooking.  For pulled pork, our preferred bottled sauces are Sweet Baby Rays, KC Masterpiece, or Bullseye (originals).

Honored Contributor

I make vinegar sauce, I love the one that came in an old Southern Living magazine. 

• 2 cups apple cider vinegar
  • ½ cup white vinegar
  • ½ cup apple juice
  • ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • ½ tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
  • ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
  • ½ teaspoon paprika
Place all ingredients in a saucepan, and bring to a boil; reduce heat,and simmer 15 minutes. Chill until ready to use. Reheat, if desired.
Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval