Super Contributor

Hey cooks, foodies, even David V!

Can anyone offer a delicious wild rice soup/stew recipes, esp for Crock-Pot cooking? I have a bag of wild rice purchased from Minnesota and cannot wait for autumn! Open to suggestions. Thanks so much!

Regular Contributor

Re: Wild rice recipes please!

This recipe calls for a 6 oz box of long grain and wild rice blend (i.e. Uncle Ben's) but guess you could inprovise and use any kind of wild rice to your liking. This is one of our favorite fall/winter meals that calls for only 5-ingredients

Montana Wild Rice Beef Stew

4 cups sliced mushrooms

3 carrots, peeled and sliced

1 (6 oz) box of long grain and wild rice blend

1 lb beef sirloin, cut into 1/2 cubes

5 cups beef broth

Place mushrooms, carrots, and rice mix with seasoning packet in crockpot and stir to combine. Top with beef. Pour beef broth all over. Cover and cook on low setting for 8-10 hours.

Super Contributor

Sounds yummy, pipsqueak! Can't wait to try it!

Super Contributor

Pipsqueak, by the way, I really like the idea of using beef sirloin. Different than the usual chicken ingredient.

Honored Contributor
Super Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Posh Poodle

Not for Crock Pot, but still good!

http://www.lundberg.com/wp-content/themes/lundberg/-show-pdf.php?id=807&t=wild-blend-rice-pilaf-with...

The apple juice ingredient looks especially intriguing, as well as the addition of raisins.

Regular Contributor

your welcome for the recipe

Honored Contributor

I make my MIL's  recipe for Baked Wild Rice Casserole (she was a Minnesotan):

1 cup wild rice

1 1/2 lb ground beef

1 tsp salt

3/4 tsp pepper

3 tbsp butter

1 onion, chopped

2 tsp minced garlic

1/2 lb sliced mushrooms

1/4 cup flour

1 1/2 cup chicken broth

1 1/2 cup milk

1 tsp seasoned salt

2 tsp dried parsley

1/2 tsp dried thyme

1/2 tsp paprika

1 bay leaf

Cover rice with cold water in bowl and soak for 15 minutes.

Brown beef with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper in big non-stick skillet.  Drain grease and place meat on paper towel-lined plate.  Wipe out skillet and melt butter over medium heat.  Stir in onions, garlic, and mushrooms to cook until most of liquid has evaporated.  Stir in flour until golden.

Slowly whisk in broth and milk.  Stir in seasoned salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, parsley, thyme, paprika, and bay leaf.  Drain rice.  Stir rice and beef into mixture in pan.

Pour into greased 9x13" baking dish.  Cover tightly with foil and bake in 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours.  Remove foil and bake for 10 more minutes.