Esteemed Contributor

Wild Rice Salad with Green Goddess TAHINI - From Something Nutritious

I posted this under recipe game too ... but not everyone reads that thread.

This recipe looks so good and I thought it might appeal to people who like a hearty, nutritious salad full of flavor. It does have a few steps to it and this recipe would make A LOT of salad, but it looks like something tasty to try when I'm hosting the ladies for a luncheon. 

Wild Rice Salad with Green Goddess TAHINI - From Something Nutritious

wild rice salad 2.PNG

INGREDIENTS
1 cup uncooked wild rice blend
1/2 tsp salt

Roasted Sweet Potatoes
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Salad Toppings
1/3 red onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
2-3 cups arugula
1/2 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese

Green Goddess Tahini
1/2 cup TAHINI (sesame paste)
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp water
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup parsley
1/3 cup basil
1/4 cup mint leaves
1 tsp honey
Juice from 1/2 lemon, about 2 tbsp
Salt to taste, about 1/2 tsp

Directions
Preheat your oven to 375 F.
Rinse the sweet potatoes and cut them into cubes. Toss them together with the 2 tbsp of olive oil, salt, garlic powder and cinnamon. Bake for 45 minutes, flipping halfway through.

Prepare your rice as instructed on package. Once ready, set aside.
While the rice and the sweet potatoes cook, prepare your green tahini sauce by blending all of the sauce ingredients together in a blender until smooth. Add more water by the tablespoon if needed to thin it out.
Once the rice is ready, season it with salt.

Transfer your rice to a large shallow serving dish, and start layering your toppings starting with the arugula, then sweet potatoes, onions, feta cheese, walnuts, and pomegranate seeds.

When ready to serve, drizzle your tahini dressing over the top, and serve the dish cold or at room temperature! I suggest mixing the tahini in only when ready to serve.

Leftovers will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 1 week. Store the rice mixture in an airtight container, and the tahini in a separate container.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Re: Wild Rice Salad with Green Goddess TAHINI - From Something Nutritious

[ Edited ]

Please be careful with the tahini you buy. There is a recall on one brand right now and there have been quite a few previous recalls. I've posted about the latest recall in Wellness.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you! This sounds superb as is, and very flexible depending on what you have on hand.

You could use dried herbs, different herbs, various rice mixes, different dried fruits, even different greens. Penzey's has a green goddess herb blend that is excellent. If you didn't have sny tahini, you could even toast some sesame seeds and blend them while still warm, to just the consistency you want--that might change the amount of water or oil you use. I'd probably leave out the pomegranate, honey and garlic for myself, and maybe use a little fresh fruit instead. Seriously, a few berries, yum.

Esteemed Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

Thank you! This sounds superb as is, and very flexible depending on what you have on hand.

You could use dried herbs, different herbs, various rice mixes, different dried fruits, even different greens. Penzey's has a green goddess herb blend that is excellent. If you didn't have sny tahini, you could even toast some sesame seeds and blend them while still warm, to just the consistency you want--that might change the amount of water or oil you use. I'd probably leave out the pomegranate, honey and garlic for myself, and maybe use a little fresh fruit instead. Seriously, a few berries, yum.

@KaySD 

Your version sounds delish too. I think wild rice mixed w/ roasted squash and just about any kind of crunchy veggies, w/ sweetness of fruit or dressing and w/ the addition of feta would be great. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@kate2357   Thanks for this delicious salad recipe.  We are plant based and I'll sub the olive oil for Dr. Braggs oil-free vinaigrette and vegan feta.  Really appreciate recipes that fit easily into our life style and sounds scrumptious💕