Honored Contributor

Why put vinegar in chili? Wendy's

Sorry for new question, it will get buried if I put it on the Wendy's thread. I was reading the recipe and it's pretty close except I use a stronger taco seasoning from Penzey's. Then I get to the last item, a tablespoon of vinegar. What does that do?

Honored Contributor

Re: Why put vinegar in chili? Wendy's

@depglasswrote:

Sorry for new question, it will get buried if I put it on the Wendy's thread. I was reading the recipe and it's pretty close except I use a stronger taco seasoning from Penzey's. Then I get to the last item, a tablespoon of vinegar. What does that do?

@depglass, Often a recipe will call for lemon juice or vinegar at the end. It brightens up a dish , especially if it cooks a long time.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I haven't seen the recipe but I like to add vinegar to soups and stews, other foods like greens to add a bit of tang.

Esteemed Contributor

It changes the flavor and adds a depth to the dish. The recipe I use for chicken cacciatore adds vinegar at the end. It wouldn’t be the same without it.

Honored Contributor

Vinegar livens up a dish and that's exactly why so many condiments contain vinegar.

Honored Contributor

I also like adding vinegar at the end of the cooking with flame off

Honored Contributor

Vinegar not only adds a little "zaz, it also raises the acidity of a dish keeping it safe from bacterial growth.