Super Contributor

Why did my cupcakes shrink??Will they taste okay? (sort of 'semi homemade')

[ Edited ]

I made cupcakes from a boxed cake mix, but added some things to it. I followed this recipe, but made them into cupcakes. They rose nicely, but after taking them out of the oven, they sank in the middle and shrank in size. I've been googling and I think maybe they were overmixed..? 

Will they be okay..??? I read that when this happens, the cupcakes might be gummy..I'm concerned bc these are for a potluck, and I made exactly 12 for the 1 cupcake disposable carrier, and I made a small 8x8 cake for us at home with the remaining batter. The 8x8 cake is in the oven now. 

Any ideas..?? I tested 3 of them with toothpick before taking them out of the oven and no crumbs or anything on the toothpick, they were done..not overbaked or underbaked..

I used a Wilton metal pan (not dark), it is new, but that should not matter, should it..?? All it said on it was "Wilton Even Bake" 12 cupcake pan..

This is the recipe..

Lemon Cake
  • 1 box lemon cake mix I use the Duncan Hines brand
  • 1 small package lemon instant pudding
  • 1 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream (I used sour cream)
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil 
  • 4 large eggs
Light Lemon Frosting:
  • 1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature
  • 6 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/3 - 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
Lemon Cake 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Grease and flour two 9'' round baking pans. Set aside.
  3. Add the cake mix and pudding mix to a large bowl and stir to combine. 

4. Add Greek yogurt, water, oil, and eggs and mix with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined, about 2 minutes. 

5. Pour evenly into prepared round pans. 

6. Bake in preheated oven for 24-29 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Don’t overbake or the cake will be dry!

For the frosting:
  1. Place the butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with electric mixers for 1 minute. 

2. Add 4 cups of powdered sugar, half of the lemon juice and the lemon zest. 

3. Beat well until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. 

4. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, and the remaining lemon juice until you reach your desired frosting consistency. 

5. Frost cake once the cake is completely cool.

Respected Contributor

Re: Why did my cupcakes shrink??Will they taste okay? (sort of 'semi homemade')

Was the box of cake mix fresh ? Try one and see how they taste. Also were your eggs fresh ? 

Super Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

Was the box of cake mix fresh ? Try one and see how they taste. Also were your eggs fresh ? 

Yes, everything was fresh, bought just today..the cake mix, the eggs, the pudding mix, the oil, the sour cream..all bought fresh and well within their expiration dates..I can't taste the cupcakes bc as I said, I literally only made 12..they don't look dry..if anything they look moist..but they're definitely baked enough, bc the toothpick came out perfectly clean..

Respected Contributor

I would just frost them , I'm sure they will be fine. But frost one and eat one just to be sure.

Super Contributor

The cake made in the 8x8 pan turned out fine..no deflating and no shrinking..so strange!! Could it be the new Wilton cupcake pan, as today is the first time I've ever used it..? It just said "Wilton Even Bake" on it..I bought it and the cupcake liners at a local cake and candy supply store. The cupcake liners are kind of fancy, scalloped edges on the top..Could this be why..? Could the scalloped cupcake liners be the reason..? 

I could not hold off..lol..I shared one with the hubby and they taste fine, not gummy like online blurb said they might be..they are very mosit and the hubby raved about them..so at least they taste good..??? Oyy... Smiley Indifferent Smiley Frustrated Smiley Embarassed

Super Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

I would just frost them , I'm sure they will be fine. But frost one and eat one just to be sure.

Thanks, yes, that is what I think I'm gonna do..I did share one with the hubby, as I mentioned in my post above this one, and they seem fine.. Just so strange!! The cake baked in the 8x8 pan turned out fine, didn't deflate nor shrink..Strange!!!

Respected Contributor

Did you use a stand mixer or a hand mixer ? I used a stand mixer on my last cupcakes I baked and they bubbled on top but they were fine. I think a hand mixer is best to use.

Honored Contributor

It wasn't the pan.  Pans don't cause cakes to shrink.  All cakes shrink slightly when thoroughly baked.  I never use a straw or toothpick to test cakes; I can tell how they've shrunk away from the sides of the pan that they've finished baking.  You added some yummy ingredients so I'm sure the cupcakes will be delish.  Ice them and carry them to your event with pride.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

What did you add to them?  You might have overbeaten the batter.  

Super Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

Did you use a stand mixer or a hand mixer ? I used a stand mixer on my last cupcakes I baked and they bubbled on top but they were fine. I think a hand mixer is best to use.

I used a hand mixer. Didn't feel like dragging the beastly KA out tonight, lol..