Trusted Contributor

Re: Who on here needs a recipe for Tomato Pie....Or share your own...

@Mothertrucker  You do not eat tomatoes in my family unless they are peeled...I am not crazy about tomatoes on a burger, unless they are peeled, and forget about a tomato sandwich without peeled tomatoes with LOTS of black pepper.......Oh, the Southern way.....

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Esteemed Contributor

Well, that's another new one to me @forrestwolf .  I've never peeled a tomato in my life.  And I LOVE tomatoes; I eat them every day!

Trusted Contributor

@Citrine1  If I really wanted to add to my Southern Tomato Pie, I would say that you must use Hellman's mayo, or Dukes, if you must, but I only use Blue Plate, or Hellman's and never Dukes, and do not go there with Kraft or salad dressing.....OH PLEASE.......Woman LOL

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Esteemed Contributor

@forrestwolf wrote:

@Citrine1  If I really wanted to add to my Southern Tomato Pie, I would say that you must use Hellman's mayo, or Dukes, if you must, but I only use Blue Plate, or Hellman's and never Dukes, and do not go there with Kraft or salad dressing.....OH PLEASE.......Woman LOL

LOL   I wouldn't DREAM of using -- dare I say it -- Miracle Whip.  Perish the thought!  We only use Hellman's in my house, so that's what I'll use in this recipe.  I don't believe we can get Blue Plate in my neck of the woods.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing.  Looks delicious!!!

Totally different from my version of tomato pie.  We use pizza crust, covered in gravy (sauce), sprinkle some herbs and bake. It is usually rectangular.  Sprinkle a bit of parmesan and/or Romano to taste.  We let it cool, slice, and serve cold.  You can eat it hot, warm, or cold;  I love it all ways.

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

This is a far cry from what we in Philadelphia call a "tomato pie", but it certainly looks delicious and I like the sound of the recipe so I'll be copying it down and giving it a try in the very near future.  Thanks for posting this @forrestwolf !

OH MY! Yesterday we had a tomato pie from Corropolese. It was so good. It was such a struggle not to eat the entire thing. The tomato sauce is so good. I have been thinking about getting another one for the weekend.

I had no idea there was another kind of tomato pie. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks. My husband would love this.

Esteemed Contributor

@forrestwolf this sounds good, and I wonder if it might be something that was popular with the neighbor 'moms' many years ago. I think I've eaten this because the cheeses in mayo, browning on top, sounds vaguely familiar.

I'm wondering about the tomato varieties you favor for this, since I haven't bought my tomato plants yet. Some tomatoes are quite sweeter than others, some sloppy with juices, others quite dry.

I'd think the variety would make a big difference in the finished pie. Any preferred varieties?

Esteemed Contributor

This looks great, a definite keeper. My neighbor makes tomato jam. It’s delicious. Great seeing you post again Forrestwolf. 

Trusted Contributor

Sounds really yummy to me.