Honored Contributor

Re: Who likes tapioca pudding?

I love tapioca pudding!

Honored Contributor

I like it and always have it in my house.  I often use it to thicken cherries for pie filling too.

Respected Contributor

Love it, so does husband.  We had it for a treat last week, and I am definitely going to try the recipe that was posted, sounds delicous!

Esteemed Contributor

I do, and its been a long time since I have had any!

Honored Contributor

I don't think I've ever had it, I do like rice pudding.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   I love rice pudding too and IMO, it is better than tapioca.  I make a gallon at a time and my adult kids take some home with them.

When I was a kid, we used to tell the little kids that there were fish eyes in tapioca.  It has small round balls that could be fish eyes... then they refused to eat it and there was more for us.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie fish eyes... LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

I love tapioca pudding. My grandmother used to make it for me when I was a child, but she used the large tapiocas - they had to be soaked in water overnight to soften. I don't think I've seen the large ones since then. I have the small ones, but wasn't crazy about the recipe on the box. I'm going to try the recipe that was posted here....looks great. BTW - I'm a tapioca girl - definitely not a rice pudding girl!

Super Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I love tapioca pudding. My grandmother used to make it for me when I was a child, but she used the large tapiocas - they had to be soaked in water overnight to soften. I don't think I've seen the large ones since then. I have the small ones, but wasn't crazy about the recipe on the box. I'm going to try the recipe that was posted here....looks great. BTW - I'm a tapioca girl - definitely not a rice pudding girl!

I love it too!

If you do ever want to try the large "pearl" tapioca like grandma used you can get it at nuts dot com for $4.99 for 1 lb pkg. Woman LOL

Tapioca.jpg

Soak 1/2 cup of tapioca overnight in 1 1/2 cups cold water. Mix 1 qt. milk and 3/4 cup sugar. Bring to boil. Drain water off tapioca, add tapioca to milk. Cook and stir till tapioca is clear (at least 30 min.). Then combine 3 beaten eggs, 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 tsp. vanilla. Add to above mixture and bring to a full boil. Makes about 2 quarts.

Esteemed Contributor

@Re: Who likes tapioca pudding?

@Happy2BHere, thanks SO much for your post! I had forgotten that they were called "large pearls"! So now I know where to get them, and you can bet I'll do that and follow your recipe! I honestly hadn't seen them for so many years, and didn't think they were even available.