Honored Contributor

Who is your go-to baker when you need a recipe?

I just love Stephanie Jaworski from Joy of Baking. When I need the definitive recipe for any baked goods, I check out her videos on YouTube.  She is so calm and knowledgable - a priceless resource.

Who is your go-to resource?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Who is your go-to baker when you need a recipe?

Interesting question. 

I do still cook from scratch, but haven't BAKED from scratch in years .....  if I need something special I will buy it.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat    I have thousands..... the Internet. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My collection of recipes in binders and on notecards.  So many carbs, so little extra room in the waistband of my jeans. 

Respected Contributor

Internet....

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have one go-to for baking recipes. I tend to look stuff up on the internet or look at hard copy recipe books.

For years and years my go-to for baking was McCall's cookbook ... circa 1973. I can't remember who gave it to me ... and it would have been much later than 1973 that I rec'd it. I still have it and it has old newspaper recipes inside,notes on desserts on what to add/change. I also have old recipe 3x5 cards w/ recipes from college and single days. 

I used this book so much when I first got married because I had NO idea how to cook much of anything. So this cookbook + meat thermometer helped me figure out how to cook food my husband (and my family) would eat.

mccalls cook book.PNG

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

agree, Internet.  A couple of favs: The Minimalist Baker for everyday, Gaz Oakley for the stunner!  I rarely use recipes but I like to read for inspiration.  Our nutritional lifestyle is very simple.

Respected Contributor

The Preppy Kichen John Kanall. I adore his You Tube channel. He tells you *why* he is doing something and what occurred when he made a mistake or testing. I just love his stuff.

Honored Contributor

Ina Garten   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, everyone. I plan to check out the ones you mentioned.

@kate2357 

Thanks for taking the time to post a photo of what is clearly a well-worn, well-loved book!  Coincidentally, the photo I'm posting is of a small booklet published in 1980, just before I got married.  At the time, it was my only cookbook and the first things I ever baked were from that book.  Your post reminded me to pull it off the shelf and revisit some of the recipes ❣️

Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 6.31.07 PM.png

~ house cat ~