Respected Contributor

my local grocery store was running a special on budding corned bf,so I bought to try.my question to everyone is,I want to cream this,but my white sauces have no flavor at all.besides pepper, what else should I use for seasoning?

I did find everything bagel seasoning today and anxious to try.

Thanks for all responds

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

my local grocery store was running a special on budding corned bf,so I bought to try.my question to everyone is,I want to cream this,but my white sauces have no flavor at all.besides pepper, what else should I use for seasoning?

I did find everything bagel seasoning today and anxious to try.

Thanks for all responds

If you're thinking of making S.O.S., it's Buddig Beef, not Corned Beef.  It's a pretty basic concoction.  I've only made it with salt and pepper, but you're the one who's eating it so add what you think you might like; onion powder, garlic powder; celery seed, a shake of Frank's Red Hot 🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

Re: White sauce.....

[ Edited ]

I love creamed corned beef on toast, and I just use a cream sauce of butter, flour and milk, no added spices, it doesn't really need it, IMO.

Dried corned beef is pretty salty, so if it's too salty for you, just let it soak in water for a few minutes and drain, then proceed.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I make my Mom's recipe:

4 tbsp butter 

1/4 cup chopped onion

1/4 cup flour

1 tsp dry mustard

1 1/2 cups half and half

1 1/2 cups milk (I use whole for richness)

1 cup chicken broth

Melt butter in saucepan.  Stir in onion until softened.  Stir in flour and mustard for a minute.  Slowly whisk in half and half, milk, and chicken broth.  Simmer and stir over low heat until thickened.   

Honored Contributor

I thought SOS was made with the dried chipped beef in the little jars.  Can't remember the brand.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner  In PA we usually make creamed dried beef on toast or home fries and use chipped dried beef from the store or farmer's market or Knauss in a package.

Knauss.png

I checked, and they also make a jarred product.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom Interesting.  I have never seen a pouch of it.  

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch yes,I ment budding beef,not cornbread altho that would be tasty as well

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@PA Mom-mom Interesting.  I have never seen a pouch of it.  

@Sooner  They are local to us, but I notice they sell at Publix, so maybe just an east coast thing. Looks like they also sell on Am..z..n

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam A little salt is needed.