Honored Contributor

Re: White Frosting for cakes

I just don't like the mouth feel of frosting made with shortening. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I am not much of a baker but I pretty much stick with cream cheese or butter cream frosting.  

Esteemed Contributor

Mary Berry’s “Easy Vanilla or Lemon Frosting”

From “The Great British Bake Off”

This is now my go-to vanilla frosting recipe, after having used an uber sweet one from my bakery days. Love the simplicity and ability to turn it into a lemony delight.  I’m also measuring everything now using a scale vice a cup measure: results are always wonderfully consistent.

The original recipe makes enough for 12 cupcakes. I’ve double it here for use on 2-8” or 9” rounds.

150g unsalted butter, softened (1/2 c + 3 Tbs)

500g confectioner’s sugar, sifted

8 Tbs full-fat milk

2 tsp vanilla or 6 Tbs lemon curd

Edible food color or paste, if you wish to add color

Beat the butter with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer with paddle until creamy. Gradually beat in the sugar (use low speed).  When the mixture is very light and smooth, beat in the flavoring (and color, if desired).  In warm weather, or if the mixture is very soft, cover and chill until it is firm but still spreadable.

Applying to cake: “Clean” the sides of the layers by brushing them lightly with your fingers several times.  With bread knife/serrated knife, remove domes from centers of both layers.  To apply frosting, use your favorite knife, angled spatula or spoon, making sure not too add too much frosting to the top of the first layer, or you might find yourself lacking toward the end.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

Mary Berry’s “Easy Vanilla or Lemon Frosting”

From “The Great British Bake Off”

This is now my go-to vanilla frosting recipe, after having used an uber sweet one from my bakery days. Love the simplicity and ability to turn it into a lemony delight.  I’m also measuring everything now using a scale vice a cup measure: results are always wonderfully consistent.

The original recipe makes enough for 12 cupcakes. I’ve double it here for use on 2-8” or 9” rounds.

150g unsalted butter, softened (1/2 c + 3 Tbs)

500g confectioner’s sugar, sifted

8 Tbs full-fat milk

2 tsp vanilla or 6 Tbs lemon curd

Edible food color or paste, if you wish to add color

Beat the butter with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer with paddle until creamy. Gradually beat in the sugar (use low speed).  When the mixture is very light and smooth, beat in the flavoring (and color, if desired).  In warm weather, or if the mixture is very soft, cover and chill until it is firm but still spreadable.

Applying to cake: “Clean” the sides of the layers by brushing them lightly with your fingers several times.  With bread knife/serrated knife, remove domes from centers of both layers.  To apply frosting, use your favorite knife, angled spatula or spoon, making sure not too add too much frosting to the top of the first layer, or you might find yourself lacking toward the end.

Add some cocoa and that's the way I make chocolate frosting--without the lemon curd however!  I always make enough to lick the bowl because I don't like too much icing on cake.  But on the rubber spatula when I'm finished making it?  OH yeah!  LOL!!!

Trusted Contributor

Barbarainnc, I meant to post last week - thank you for this recipe!  I used it for chocolate cupcakes I made.  I wasn't sure if my grocery store would have dream whip, but they did (I've never used it before in anything).  thanks again Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Glad you liked it. 😊 

Valued Contributor

We currently live in Florida and, prior to that, lived in Arizona.  I've always had a very hard time getting my buttercream frosting to hold up well because of the heat.  Found an excellent recipe that is delicious and holds up well even when it's warm.  It's actually a Rachael Ray recipe:

Ingredients

4 sticks (1 pound) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
1 16 ounce tub marshmallow cream (such as Marshmallow Fluff brand)
Preparation

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy.

Beat in one-fourth of the sugar until fluffy, then repeat with the remaining sugar.

Beat in the vanilla, then stir in the marshmallow cream until well blended.

The addition of the marshmallow fluff really adds an extra "body" to just plain old buttercream.  And it's really delicious.  I don't make it too often.  I use it to frost my yearly Easter bunny cake, but my family goes bonkers over this frosting!  It's that good.

As for Crisco frosting, I can remember my mother making it when I was a kid because that's the kind of frosting her mother made.  I guess it was basically a kind of "depression" frosting, but I always thought it tasted great.  

And as for the Dream Whip, I can remember my mom using it when I was a kid in the 70's.  It's still sold at most grocery stores and I've also seen it as the World Market.  While real whipped cream is still the best, I don't ever remember saying "no" to Dream Whip!

Trusted Contributor

Way back when @Barbarainnc, I'm pretty sure I used this recipe or something very similar. It was delicious, too. I just don't bake much anymore but I appreciate your post.

Honored Contributor

@Barbarainnc

Thank you for posting!  I have been looking for some new frosting recipes to use.  Yours and many other shared here are appreciated.

Question:  Should I use regular white shortening as oppossed to the 'butter flavored' sticks I have seen?

@sfnative

Thank you also for posting! 

Question:

500 g confectioner's sugar.....about 4 cups?  I had a silly time trying to google the conversion!!

I just found the Brittish baking show for the first time over the summer.  Very much enjoyed the show!!!  I have noticed both that show and the Holiday Baking show  (HGTV) bakers all use scales and not cups.

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Crisco is the basis for cake decorating "buttercream" frosting.

If you are making buttercream roses, you need a "firm" frosting that will hold it's shape until ready to serve.

Frosting made with Crisco is not flavorful at all.  I imagine the addition of the corn syrup and Dream Whip will both help keep the firmness and make it more flavorful.  I wonder if the Dream Whip acts like powdered egg whites in Royal Icing or something.  This is interesting to me and makes me want to practice with this icing recipe.

You'll see a lot of cake decorating frosting recipes have almond extract or butter flavor extract to help it taste better.

Unless I need stark white icing for my decorated cake, I use half Crisco/half butter and real vanilla.  It holds okay and tastes okay.  If it's a little yellow, so be it.

@VaBelle35

You can actually buy "clear" vanilla too, that might help keep your whites white!

See, all those hours of watching Food Network finally paid off - a useful tip LOL!!!