Frequent Contributor

Re: White Frosting for cakes

Thank you so much for this recipe. 

I have been making cakes for decades.  I normally make butter icing.  Sometimes it is OK  - other times it can be way too soft especially when I am taking the cake to someone else's home.  I had always wondered how some cakes had icing that held up so much better than mine.  Decorations made with butter icing can get rather droopy.

Last summer a new member of our family made a fabulous layer cake that had incredible tasting icing.  She had transported the cake over 200 miles in the car and it still looked and tasted great. I asked her how she made the icing and she told me about the Crisco recipe.  I had never heard of making icing with Crisco but since I had just tasted it, I knew it was really good.   

I have since made my cakes using the Crisco recipe and everyone loves it.  Why I like your recipe is the addition of the dry Dream Whip - I think that will add to the flavor. 

As far as the poster who suggested that we all will get all get diabetes, clogged arteries and heart disease if we use this recipe - I don't think so!  Somehow using butter, powered sugar, whip cream, etc does not sound that much better to me.  I guess if you ate a whole cake every week, it could damage your health. But a slice of cake for a special occasion will not harm anyone. 

I must admit that if I had not tasted the Crisco icing before hearing what it was made of, I probably would have been skeptical too.  But don't knock it until you have tasted it.  Frankly if you are a baker, it is rather hard to be totally health conscious.  The best things are made with butter, cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, flour and lots and lots of sugar!

Esteemed Contributor

I wish I had a slice of cake this icing right now. Major crave going on here.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 ...  I'm so glad you're back !!  That was a lovely response !!  

Honored Contributor

@Graciesmom Why thank you for the kind words....yepper, I'm back....2 new knees.  Don't even need a cane anymore...not quite ready for the go go boots and I don't think I can get all ummmm (this) up in that cage....but I'm gettin' there!

Still have one tiny spot on one incision (the size of two pin heads) that won't heal, but not a big deal...

Respected Contributor

My daughter & her family are dairy free as much as possible. All three boys have problems when they have too much dairy, so for their birthdays I use Crisco frosting for their cakes. 

No Dream Whip, but it is still very tasty & pretty frosting.

Trusted Contributor

@Barbarainnc

My Mom always made Fluffy Frosting. It had Crisco in it. She always added a little food coloring to make it a pretty pastel color. I dug the recipe out. It's really good with chocolate cake.

1 C. Milk

3 T. Flour

Cook until thick & cool.

Beat together:

1/2 C. Crisco

1/2 C. Margarine

1 C. Sugar

Add cooled flour paste to above ingredients. Add 1 tsp. Vanilla & drop of food coloring. Beat for 15 minutes until fluffy. 

Respected Contributor

I've made a cooked frosting very similar to yours. Hubby loves it on yellow or chocolate layers. I think it was originally used on a red velvet cake before they used a cream cheese frosting on it. Yum yum 😊 

Respected Contributor

You can substitute Crisco..........

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/18/7f/29/187f29330f3fc2b6ab718d688b5d9803.jpghttps://images.iherb.cn/m/NUT-10517-3.jpg

~A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words~
Honored Contributor

You can't beat a crisco frosting for fluffiness and smooth taste.  That is the filling used for ladylocks and whoopee pies/gobs.  Other fillings just do not work.

Honored Contributor

@marchingalong123 wrote:

This sounds AWFUL!!! 2 cups of Crisco? How old is this recipe? The ingredients sound like they came from back in the 50's when Crisco, white corn syrup, Dream Whip were popular and people weren't dying of heart disease. At least use quality ingredients if U R going 2 make a lovely cake. Real butter, real sugar, real home made whip cream. Why give yourself diabetes, clogges arteries etc., with inferior ingredients? 

I am a type 1 diabetic and surely didn't "give myself diabetes" by eating the wrong foods! Not fond of your analogy. But yes, this recipe does sound awful! I rarely use Crisco for anything nowadays. 

"Pure Michigan"