Regular Contributor

White Chocolate Kissed Gingerbread Cookies

/><br/> <br/> I don't get the chance to bake cookies as often as I'd like to any more-with only 2 of us in the house, cookies can cause a lot of problems sitting in a container tempting us. So...when Christmas rolls around I love trying at least 2 or 3 different cookies to put on cookie trays for gifts.<br/> <br/> I just have to make at least one gingerbread cookie during the holidays. The aroma of ginger, molasses, cinnamon and nutmeg sings Christmas. I always make gingerbread cookies for my 2 grandsons, and when I saw this cookie on</span> <a rel=Barbara Bakes' blog, I knew I had to try them too....all the ingredients were close at hand.

I have gotten into the habit of freezing Hershey Kisses right away when I get them home from the store. One-it keeps them out of my reach so I won't nibble and two, when making cookies such as these, I've found that using the kisses frozen keeps the shape of the kiss on the cookie. This works especially well with the kisses with a liquid center, like caramel and cherry cordial. The first time I used those two flavors without freezing them-YIKES what a mess! They exploded from the heat of the cookie. Popping them on the cookie while they're frozen solid allows the bottom to melt and adhere to the cookie but the rest of the candy keeps its shape-AND doesn't explode-which allows all flavors of kisses to sit in the center of all kinds of cookies.

That's what I did here. I unwrap as many candies as I'll need, put them in a bowl and return the bowl to the freezer while the cookies are baking. Once I remove the cookie sheets from the oven, I grab the bowl of candy and pop one in the center of each cookie, let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for a minute or two, then transfer the cookies to wire racks and let them sit for a while until the chocolate stabilizes. The kiss will get soft but still retain its shape. If I'm in a hurry for the chocolate to set-I pop the cookies onto a tray and into the refrigerator OR take them out to the table on our screened in porch-winter in New England makes my porch a great second refrigerator!

The only thing I added to these cookies was a touch of black pepper. You can't taste it in the cookie but it adds another level of warmth with the other spices.

These cookies are FABULOUS! I made the dough a few days ahead and popped it in the refrigerator so it was ready when I started my cookie bake-a-thon. I love the blend of white chocolate with the gingerbread flavor......absolutely delicious.

Thank you Barbara for sharing another great recipe-this one is going into my favorite cookies file for sure!

WHITE CHOCOLATE KISSED GINGERBREAD COOKIES
(Source: Adapted from
McCormick and Barbara Bakes)

3 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground Saigon cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 c. molasses
1 large egg
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/4 c. granulated sugar
55-60 white and milk chocolate swirled kiss-shaped candies, frozen solid, unwrapped

Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and pepper in large bowl; set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar on medium speed of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add molasses, egg and vanilla; mix well.

Gradually add the flour mixture, beating on low speed until well mixed.

Place the cookie dough in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Shape dough into 1" balls; roll in granulated sugar to coat. Place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake @ 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until edges of cookies just begin to brown. While the cookies are baking, unwrap the amount of candy kisses needed, place the unwrapped candy in a small bowl or on a plate and return them to the freezer while the cookies are baking.

Remove the cookies from the oven and immediately press a frozen candy kiss into center of each cookie. Let cookies sit on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes, then remove the cookies from the pan to wire racks to cool completely and allow the chocolate to set.

Store cookies in airtight container up to 5 days. Makes 55-60 cookies.