Contributor

Re: White Bean Chicken Chili

Beach-mom....do you cook your chicken before putting it into the crockpot?
Super Contributor

This is a recipe from Lunds&Byerlys, which is an up-scale grocery store in Minneapolis. They have several Home Economists on staff and they put out very reliable recipes.

Quick Version Chili Blanco

6 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. chicken stock base
2 onions, chopped fine
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
7 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 (4 oz.) cans diced fire-roasted green chilies
2 tsp. EACH cumin and dried Mexican oregano
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
4 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 cup sour cream
3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 (19 oz.) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in Dutch oven; add onions, cumin and oregano. Sauté 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and sauté 1 to 2 minutes more. Add cayenne pepper, green chilies, chicken broth and chicken stock base and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add chicken and the cannellini beans. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in sour cream and the cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Serve with optional garnishes: chopped green onions, fresh cilantro leaves, lime wedges, diced Roma or grape tomatoes, chopped fresh Serrano chilies.
Serves 6.
Posted by sue-p

Frequent Contributor

This is the recipe I use which I saw on The Chew:

Tori Hazelett's White Chicken Chili (from The Chew- 10/18/13)

skill level : Easy; time : 60-120min servings : 12

ingredients

• Olive Oil
  • 1 large Onion (diced)
  • 1 Red or Green Bell Pepper (chopped)
  • 4 Garlic cloves (minced)
  • 1 pound Ground Chicken
  • 3 links Chicken Sausage (casing removed)
  • 2 tablespoons Chili Powder
  • 2 tablespoons toasted Fennel Seeds
  • 2 tablespoons ground Cumin
  • 1 tablespoon dried Oregano
  • 1 teaspoon seasoning Salt
  • 1 1/2-2 teaspoons Red Chili Flakes
  • 3 tablespoons Flour
  • 6 ounces mild Lager (pronounced “logger”) Beer
  • 2 15-ounce cans Cannellini Beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 2 Jalapenos (finely chopped and muddled with salt)
  • 2 cups fresh Corn Kernels (cut from the cob)
  • 4-5 cups Homemade Chicken Stock
  • 4 cups Baby Spinach leaves (roughly chopped)
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1/4 cup Parsley (chopped)
  • 2 roasted Poblanos (stems and seeds removed; chopped)
  • Kosher Salt
  • Honey Corn Bread to serve
  • Sour Cream for garnish
  • chopped Scallions for garnish

instructions

In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken and sausage and season with salt. Cook until the edges of the chicken are brown and meat begins to caramelize, about 7 to 8 minutes.

Add the onions and bell peppers along with another pinch of salt and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.

Add the dried spices and cook until very fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes, and add the flour and stir for 30 seconds. Deglaze with the lager, scraping up brown bits form the bottom of the pot and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.

Add the beans, jalapenos, corn, and most of the chicken stock, reserving 1 cup of stock. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and stir frequently. Cook over medium low heat for about an hour.

Add the spinach, Parmesan, parsley, and roasted poblanos. Add a little more of the reserved chicken stock if needed to thin. Cook for another 10 minutes, taste/adjust seasonings. Garnish bowls of chili with sour cream and scallions and serve with cornbread.

Helpful Tips:
1. Reserve chicken stock for the end in case the chili is too thick.
2. If the chili is too spicy, serve with sour cream or Greek yogurt for a cooling component.

Honored Contributor

On 1/10/2015 wannabe said: Beach-mom....do you cook your chicken before putting it into the crockpot?

Hi wannabe - Sorry I'm late replying! I do not cook the chicken. When I first got the recipe I browned it a few seconds, but honestly it was just as good putting it into the crockpot raw. I dump everything in and turn it on. It's one of our favorite things to have! Smile

Honored Contributor

On 1/10/2015 mom2eli said:

Thanks for all the recipes, they sound great.

Hey Beach-mom, can you make this in a dutch oven on the stove top instead of putting it in the crockpot and can you use the cannellini beans instead of the great northern beans?

Hi mom2eli! I agree with kath and denise. I think this would be fine in a dutch oven. I've made something similar, but not this particular recipe. In this case (on top of the stove), I would definitely brown the chicken first, but not cook it. I would also pay close attention to the liquid, adjusting both the broth and the water by ratio - to keep the flavor consistency - if I needed to.

I also think any white bean would be fine. I use Great Northern, but I've made it so much I'm sure I've probably used cannellini in the past! Smile

Respected Contributor

Here is one that I received from my daughter and have been making for years.

SLOW COOKER WHITE CHICKEN CHILI

Makes 8 servings

1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 can chicken broth (14 oz)

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano leave

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon red pepper sauce

1 ½ lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat

2 cans (15 to 16 oz ea. ) great northern beans, rinsed, drained

1 can (11 oz ) Green Giant white shoepeg corn, drained

2 tablespoons lime juice

3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

1. In 3 ½ - 4 – quart slow cooker, mix onion, garlic, broth, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper sauce.

Add chicken.

2. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 4 to 5 hours.

3. Remove chicken from slow cooker; place on cutting board. Use 2 forks to shred chicken into pieces. Return chicken to slow cooker. Stir in beans, corn, lime juice

And cilantro. Increase heat setting to High. Cover and cook about 30 minutes or until beans and corn are hot.