Respected Contributor

We tried a new recipe this evening, but I predict it will become a Summer time regular at our table.   The whiskey marinade imparts a mild flavor that, unless you know, you just cannot put your finger on. I feel certain guests would ask, "What is that?"

These burgers required no embellishment.  We Gs have a variety of favorite burgers, but this is the first time we opted not to use condiments or the 'fixings' that usually dress a burger.  

Whiskey Cheddar Burgers 

(4) 6-6½ oz. hamburger patties
¼ cup whiskey
3 garlic cloves, chopped
8 strips of bacon
8 thick-sliced pieces of cheddar cheese
2 large Vidalia onions, peeled and chopped
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons reserved bacon fat
1 teaspoon salt
4 hamburger buns
Lettuce, tomatoes, or your favorite hamburger fixings.

Place the bacon in a large skillet and cook until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to cool. Reserve 2 Tablespoons of the bacon fat.

Discard the remaining bacon fat and wipe out the skillet.

Add the olive oil and the 2 Tablespoons of bacon fat to the same skillet, then add the onions, cooking over low heat. Add the salt and cook, turning the onions often for 30-40 minutes until they are brown and caramelized. Set aside to cool. The onions take a while to cook down and get sweet, about 30-40 minutes over low heat. Don’t rush them. Burning or scorching the onions will make them bitter. Take your time and you’ll reap the sweet rewards.

While the onions are cooking, add the whiskey and chopped garlic to a shallow dish.  Put in the hamburger patties and let marinate for 15 minutes. Then flip and marinate another 15 on the other side.

Grill the burgers over medium-high heat for 5 minutes per side for a medium/medium rare burger. If you aren’t using 6 or 6½ oz. hamburgers you might want to cook the hamburgers less if you’re looking for a medium rare burger.

The last minute of grilling, add two slices of cheese to each burger and close the lid to melt the cheese.

Remove the hamburgers to a platter. Place each hamburger on a bottom bun, then top with a large spoonful of caramelized onions and then one or two strips of bacon broken in half. Top each burger with the top bun and serve.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Oh my, these sound good 🍔🍔

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG may I say . . . YUM! . . . I need to go and get some whiskey and give these a whirl as I know I would love them . . . thanks as always for your great recipes and I hope you and your DH have a wonderful and safe Memorial Day weekend! . . . Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for posting...these sound wonderful!  I look forward to trying these instead of our regular run-of-the-mill hamburgers! 

Respected Contributor

@lOVETOSHOP, you are welcome.  BTW, if you are looking for variety in your burgers, here's a recipe for Pizza Burgers that we Gs have enjoyed for many years.  I also have one we call OMG Burgers.  With lots of garlic, it too is delicious.  "Just whistle" if you are interested.  

Trusted Contributor

I would LOVE the recipe for the OMG burgers as we are big garlic lovers!  I've already copied the pizza burger recipe too....thank you so much...I'm thinking the pizza burgers would even be good to eat open-face style with a knife and fork!

I'm thinking we'll be having a burger night once a week for the rest of the summer with all these yummy recipes!! Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor

I am going to try these without the onions.  Thanks for the recipe.

Respected Contributor

@Pook  Just as a suggestion, sautéed mushrooms would be a good substitution for the caramelized onions.