Honored Contributor

Where does the water in two day old potato salad come from?

I've wondered about this for years.  The day after I put my potato salad in the refrigerator it is dryer as the potatoes have absorbed the dressing.  Leave it another day or so and something is separating and leaving water in the bottom.  Ingredients are potatoes, onion, celery, green pepper, boiled eggs.  Dressing is half Miracle Whip and half Mayo, with a couple spoons of French's mustard.  My goal is to have the salad last several days at the cottage.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Where does the water in two day old potato salad come from?

I’ve never had that happen, wonder if the water in the celery and pepper are culprits? The potato salad I just finished up from Memorial day was potatoes, onion, s/p, dill relish with a dressing of light mayo, mustard. Same consistency from day one(I do like it semi “smashed” if that makes sense). 

Honored Contributor

@depglass ..............its the onions.  They have a high water content.  To reduce the amount of water in left over salads with onions, peel your onion, then I half mine, let it sit out on the counter for 45 min to an hour before you chop it to put in the salad.  The water content will be greatly reduced.  Its been my experience that water is reduced about 95 to 98 percent.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Could also be the mustard separating.  It separates in the bottle, so why not in your salad?

Esteemed Contributor

The third item listed on the Mayo jar is water - then vinegar + lemon juice (liquid).

With Mac Salad the Mac absorbs whatever liquid it can get.....but potatoes are cooked in boiling water - and will not.

I usually add just enough Mayo - when I first make it - to hold it all together.  Refrig and next day add more Mayo as needed.

Never had a puddle of water in the bowl bottom.  

Celery has a high water content

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe there is a vinegar in the Miracle whip or the mustard which is breaking down the onion or celery  drawing out water.

Honored Contributor

Everything but the eggs and potatoes are contributing to the water you are concerned about.  

What you're seeing is normal and does not mean the food is going bad.   Just stir it up and go on.   

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I boil whole russet potatoes until only fork tender.  I peel hot using mitts and cut in large chunks.  I chop egg whites, celery, and pickles (no relish).  A splash of mustard, and Dules mayo.  

NO WATER.

Contributor

It is the water from the celery and onions. If you use a food processor you have to squeeze out the water using your hands. You will be surprised at all the water that come out. I now hand chop ny celery and onions for all recipes now. Hardly any water at all. It may take more time but you have a better finished product. I still use my food processor as it is so fast but it is not for everything.

Honored Contributor

I haven't used my food processor in years.  All ingredients are knife cut.  You all have really given me something to think about.  I'm now planning on dressing only half the cut up ingredients for immediate use.  I'll  add the dressing to the second batch when the first batch has been used up.