Honored Contributor

Re: Where do you save recipes on your computer?

@wildcat fan wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Where do you find recipes on your computer? 

I find a lot on FB - especially since my cousin's wife posts recipes every day.Her's are always delicious. I store them in my POCKET app. Every so often I go through and delete the ones I haven't used. 

My favorite so far - from my cousin's wife - creamy sundried tomato and chicken pasta.

That sundried tomato and chicken pasta sounds yummy!  😍

I've posted it here before. Cook the chicken in olive oil and set iot aside - add veggies - whatever you like - I use  pepper & onions and chopped up sundried tomatoes with oil from the jar. Cook til veg are tender - add broth and cream -  add chicken back into pan when you've added the liq, and cook to reduce the liquid and thicken - only a few min. Serve over pasta.I always put a little Italian seasoning on my chicken but you can pretty much season anyway you like.
I sometimes use this recipe to use up herbs that are in need of cutting in my herb garden.

Esteemed Contributor

I use Pinterest

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Contributor

I store my recipes in Excel.  

I like the layout and I can put it in the order that I want { by title}

I have one set up for my favorite recipes that I have tried and

print them and have them in a protective sleeve in a small

notebook by title.  That way I don't have to drag out my recipe

box.  

I can also take these 2 cookbooks that I have with me when I

go to Virginia to see my granddaughter.

I am creating this recipe book to hand down to her when I pass on.

That way she woun't have to say I wish I had Mema's recipe

Just a thought

Jean

Trusted Contributor

What an interesting thread!  I am enjoying seeing everyone's ideas. 

I am most like @IamMrsG who said, "I still use a PC and on which I have a folder named "Recipes." That folder is broken down into sub-folders, categories, like a cookbook, e.g., appetizers, beverages, confections / desserts, main dish, etc"

I love reading recipes and cookbooks.  I started my collection of recipes long before I could afford to buy cookbooks and w-a-a-y before PC's and still have an actual file cabinet with folders for the various categories.  It brings back lots of warm memories of the people who gave me some of those recipes and the places where I tasted the food."

Now I collect recipes on my computer as Word files and also have a three-ring notebook of printed-out recipes I've tried and used regularly.  I don't keep my computer powered up and online all the time, so the printed recipes are my version of Instant Access.

@Sooner, I wish I had access to your "HUGE notebook of printed recipes from the QVC Shop Talk and Boards in the 1990..and so many other great recipes!"  When I joined this board it had already become Recipe Swap and I was thrilled with all the wonderful old family recipes and warm generous posters I found here.

I'd like to know how those of you who use Pinterest to store your collection organize and find what you're looking for.  I've browsed there, but never set up a board or pinned anything myself. 

@SCHULTZI  I was fascinated to see you use Excel for your collection.  I once had a boss who used his spreadsheet program for EVERYTHING -- wish I could see some samples of your layout and recipes. 

Valued Contributor

On my laptop I have a folder name "RECIPES" and I name my recipes by category first, two spaces and then the name of the recipe, system sorts by alphabetical order.  I have more than a 1000 recipes on file and I can find a recipe in a split second.

Example...

BEEF  HAMBURGERS
BEEF  STROGANOFF
BEEF  TENDERLOIN

CHICKEN  BAKED CHICKEN BREAST
CHICKEN  POT PIE
CHICKEN  THIGHS

MEXICAN  TACOS
MEXICAN  ENCHILADAS
MEXICAN  ELOTES

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Valued Contributor

I try to save on Pinterest.  If not, I cut and paste the article on my computer, drop it into an email message and email it to myself.  Then I can either save it to a folder or cut and paste it into a word document.  I can print it from there if I want.

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

I still use a PC and on which I have a folder named "Recipes." That folder is broken down into sub-folders, categories, like a cookbook, e.g., appetizers, beverages, confections / desserts, main dish, etc. As of this typing, 1,700 documents are saved in the sub-folders.

Of the 1700, how many have you made?

Honored Contributor

I save mine on Pintrest & Tasty Kitchen, when I want to fix a recipe I print it out and put it in a folder with my cookbooks.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

I use Pinterest to organize my recipes into groups (food that's bad for me, food that's good for me, Whole30/Paleo, entertaining, holidays, gifts, etc.). It's really made me more organized than I used to be. Although, I still have a folder in the filing cabinet of printed recipes from relatives and magazines.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

I still use a PC and on which I have a folder named "Recipes." That folder is broken down into sub-folders, categories, like a cookbook, e.g., appetizers, beverages, confections / desserts, main dish, etc. As of this typing, 1,700 documents are saved in the sub-folders.

Of the 1700, how many have you made?

@coffee drinker  Sorry I did not respond sooner to your question.  I just now saw it.

With the exception of the Confections/Pastries folder (recipes that I save for holidays and special occasions), I've made just about every one of them.  It is not unusual for DH to ask, "When did we last have this one?" and for me to answer, "a year or two ago."   In fact, it happened last night as we sat on the deck and enjoyed Pork Tenderloin with Grilled Grapes and Romaine.  

I am always on the lookout for something new to try -- downloaded two recipes yesterday, in fact.  

Edited to fix font changes.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.