Respected Contributor

When cutting your Turkey breast, do you cut it..

Crosswise and get smaller pieces. Or lengthwise for bigger slices. I've watched lots of chefs on tv cut it crosswise in chunks. Just wondering if you like it crosswise (against the grain) or lengthwise ( with the grain)?  😊 ❤ 😊 

Frequent Contributor

Re: When cutting your Turkey breast, do you cut it..

We have always sliced the long thin slices but this time we are going to try the other way because it always looks so good on those cooking shows. How about you? Thanks

Honored Contributor

I generally cut off the whole breast and then cut smaller slices 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

I remove each whole breast on both sides, and then slice about 1/2" thick crosswise against the grain. It's always tender that way. After slicing, you can place the whole breast on a platter using a long spatula for a nice presentation, along with other parts of the turkey if desired.😊

Honored Contributor

We want bigger slices.

Respected Contributor

@Barbarainnc  Tradition in my family was cutting thin long slices with the grain and I prefer it to the alternate thick cross cut breast cut that they consistently show on cooking demos on television.

Honored Contributor

I've always had it cut the long way, until the last couple years.  I never gave it much thought.  My grandfather always carved the turkey the long way.  Then I followed doing it that way.  Spending a couple holidays at my friends, her father cut it in chunks.  I found it a bit odd, but it tastes the same.  😹

Trusted Contributor

I prefer long thin slices. They are easier for me to eat and it is ready for sandwiches.  My DD cuts the breast off the turkey then slices it in about 1/2 inch pieces which is too thick for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not a turkey fan, but I must say my turkey today was moist and flavorful, I carved the breast the long way. I only make turkey breast, no one will eat the dark meat in my family.

Respected Contributor

Ah, heck, I just gnaw the whole thing off the bone!  Woman LOL

(Nah, I do long, a bit thicker slices cut in half.  I'll have to try ya'lls way.)

Denise