Honored Contributor

When You Have A lot of Peaches…Peach Cobbler 🍑

Sorting thru peach recipes. Taking advance of an abundance of sweet summer yellow peaches 🍑 

A9F6053F-49A4-43FC-8B5C-ACA55B5C1F7C.jpeg

Total Time

Prep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.

Makes

12 servings

Ingredients

• 6 to 8 large ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
  • 2-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3/4 to 1 cup sugar

• CRUST:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 large egg yolks. room temperature
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 2 large egg whites, room temperature, stiffly beaten
  • Vanilla ice cream, optional

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375°. Combine peaches, cornstarch and sugar; place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. For crust, in a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and baking powder. Stir in egg yolks and butter. Gently fold in egg whites. Spread over peaches. Bake until the fruit is bubbling around edges and top is golden, about 45 minutes. If desired, serve with ice cream.

Peach Cobbler Tips

What kinds of peaches can you use to make peach cobbler?

Now, we all know there are lots of apple options out there, but there are also many typee of peaches. For baking, stick to yellow peaches (the kind you're most likely to find at the supermarket), Babcock peaches, snow peaches or Belle of Georgia peaches. White and donut peaches don't work quite as well. If you can't find peaches at the store, you can substitute another stone fruit like nectarines or plums.

Do you have to use peeled peaches when making peach cobbler?

If you're looking to save time or don't mind a little fuzz, you don't have to peel the peaches when making peach cobbler. The skins will soften up during baking. However, if you have the time, our Test Kitchen does recommend peeling. It'll make for a better dessert experience. 

Can you make peach cobbler with canned peaches?

You sure can make cobbler with canned peaches! Drain the peaches of any syrup and use the same amount called for in the recipe. The end result will be softer, but this method will work in a pinch. And don't sleep on frozen peaches. These frozen fruits will also work. You don't even need to defrost them before stirring the mixture together.

Can you make peach cobbler ahead of time?

Cobbler is one of those desserts like crdps and crumbles that's really best served warm from the oven. For best results, serve the peach cobbler the day you bake it.

How should you store peach cobbler?

Because peach cobbler is better the sooner you eat it, we don't recommend keeping it for long. To store, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Re: When You Have A lot of Peaches…Peach Cobbler 🍑

@Chi-town girl My grandparents in Wichita had a peach tree in their back yard. Best peaches I ever ate and grandma made the BEST peach cobbler I've ever had.

Peach pie is my favorite pie ever.

Honored Contributor

I make my Mom's recipe for peach cobbler:

Filling:

8 peaches, peeled and thinly sliced

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp lemon juice

2 tsp cornstarch

Dough:

1 cup flour

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

6 tbsp cold butter, cut in small cubes

1/4 cup boiling water 

Topping:

3 tbsp sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

Stir filling ingredients in big bowl to coat, then pour into 9"X13" baking dish.  Bake in 425 degree oven for 10 minutes.

Mix flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in big bowl.  Mix in butter with fingers to texture of coarse meal.  Lightly stir in boiling water. 

Drop spoonfuls of dough on top of baked peaches.  Sprinkle topping over dough.  Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. 

Super Contributor

Bought a couple of boxes of Georgia peaches 2 weeks ago.  Gave some to my family/friends to eat fresh, took a pie to my mom, made jam (15 pts) and froze 9 qts for later pies. . . Three sweet peaches remain. . . maybe cobbler/Thanks for the recipes!!!

Honored Contributor

I have peaches..to many to eat now.  

Can I make cobbler, NOT bake it, but freeze it, then bake later?  Would the topping/crust bake as if it were freshly made?

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I have peaches..to many to eat now.  

Can I make cobbler, NOT bake it, but freeze it, then bake later?  Would the topping/crust bake as if it were freshly made?

I think it would be fine.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm drooling here! Yum 😋 🍑