Respected Contributor

When Do You Pick Up Your Fresh Turkey?

I'm thinking of ordering a fresh turkey this year but I've only ever had frozen before.  When do you pick up your fresh turkey to keep in your fridge?

Thanks for any help!

Respected Contributor

Re: When Do You Pick Up Your Fresh Turkey?

I would pick it up 1 to 2 two days before Thanksgiving.  I used to order from Whole Foods.  I'd go first thing in the morning because that place was a nightmare as the day went on.  A cop would have to come out and direct traffic.

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappyThanks!  Never thought about What time of day would be best to pick it up! 

Esteemed Contributor

@candys mine If you are picking it up from a grocery store, you should allow 2 to 3 days in the fridge before roasting. They come in a deeply chilled state, not quite frozen. I usually pick up my turkey on Monday night for roasting on Thursday. However, if you are picking up a freshly killed turkey from a local farm, you can pick it up the day before Thanksgiving. Have wonderful T-Day!

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom  Thanks,  It will be a grocery bird.  Wish I could do a farm fresh bird,

I think I feel a bit better about getting fresh since it is really chilled before I get it not just regular refrigerated if that makes sense.

Esteemed Contributor

Just saying that I've used a farm fresh, as well as grocery store fresh....and the only difference I found was pricing.

But I do prefer fresh.

@PA Mom-mom  Excellent advice!

Esteemed Contributor

@candys mine    My mother got a fresh turkeys for years.   She would pick it up two days before Thanksgiving.  

Esteemed Contributor

I agree, pick it up 2-3 days before.  We always got fresh turkey's but I caved this year and bought a frozen Butterball.  I wasn't out shopping for one but the big box store in our area had a bunch of them and nice sizes too.  So I went ahead and got it, didn't want to be caught without one!   Now I'll just need the ingredients to make the stuffing.

Respected Contributor

@Boehm Collector  Thanks.  Doing things the way Mother always did them = tried and true advice to me!

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal  thanks.  I Hear ya!  If you find what you want, best to get it then and there! Just be sure to follow the directions for the Thaw time it takes days!  Happy hunting for your stufing ingredients!