Trusted Contributor

Whats the best way to defrost

store bought rye bread.  

Thanks

Respected Contributor

Re: Whats the best way to defrost

@Jamma I freeze white, rye, whole wheat bread and other baked items and leave them on the counter to defrost.  Works like a dream.  Try it.

Respected Contributor

Is there another way other than leaving it on the counter?    You can also put frozen bread directly into the toaster, but I find it gets a bit mushy in the middle.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

Thanks ladies.

Respected Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

@Jamma I freeze white, rye, whole wheat bread and other baked items and leave them on the counter to defrost.  Works like a dream.  Try it.

That's what I've always done.  Growing up decades ago there was a day old Wonder bread outlet and my mother used to go stock up on bread and freeze a few loaves so we never ran out.  

Super Contributor

I defrost in the fridge.  I just put the frozen item in the fridge about 24 hours before use.  

Esteemed Contributor

When I make a sandwich on rye, once I have the topping ingredients  assembled, I take out the slices of rye that I need and make the sandwich.  It's generally thawed out enough to eat by the time I'm done.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I agree with @Sweetbay magnolia . I guess the only issue would be is if the loaf hasn't been sliced. I normally eat lite multi grain bread and I just fix the sandwich while the bread is still frozen. It only takes a couple minutes for sliced bread to thaw.

Trusted Contributor

@Jamma - I always defrost any frozen bread by leaving it out on the counter.  I put the plastic bag on a rack so that the bottom gets thawed and doesn't sit in any moisture that may accumulate in the bottom of the bag.