Honored Contributor

Re: Whatcha Cooking or Bringing on The Fourth?

[ Edited ]

Well it's a whole 4 day weekend of grilling or smoking food at our house since dh has the time off. Today it was chicken satay for lunch and burgers for dinner. Tomorrow it's yakitori for lunch and leftovers for dinner, Monday we're smoking beef ribs and Tuesday it's a whole chicken and German sausage. Various salads, fruit and vegetables for side dishes. I' also baking a lemon merinque pie and making a fresh peach pie. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Copper River salmon, pasta salad, watermelon salad, for the nonfish eaters chili dogs, homemade vanilla ice cream with fresh blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries.  

Regular Contributor

I am lucky enough to have a DH who is a former professional Cook...he drives an 18 wheel rig nowadays but expects to have July 3-5 off. Our plans include BBQ pork ribs, marinated brisket, baked beans with bacon, onions and brown sugar, potato salad, (I use a mix of half mayo and half sour cream), fresh corn on the cob, icy cold watermelon and possibly fresh strawberry short cake.

Sounds like a lot of food,right? Especially since it is just for the 2 of us, with leftovers galore. But factor in the 3 big fur babies and it doesn't seem too much...my job is to come up with the menus and provide the 'fine' seasoning, DH will do everything else including shopping and cleaning...what an amazing guy.

He's also managed to lose 170 pounds in the past 5 years, and his Type 2 diabetes is under excellent control. Fresh fruit or smoothies with yogurt or kefir the more typical desserts with lean meats, lots of salads and plenty of water. Just cutting out the sugary sodas and juice drinks plus most fast food stops (but not all) helped this Big Guy lose a couple of clothing sizes and regain health and self esteem.

Here are the kiddos

CheyenneMalabearandNikkiraregroupshot.jpg

And some of the Cook's finest

foodcelebratingSummerwithfreshsweetcornhoneyBBQribsandtatersaladohmy.jpg

Honored Contributor

For one event which is a 150-mile one-way trip and we will go and return in one day, I am taking 2 dozen deviled eggs (48 halves) and a pickle/relish tray.  We have to take on ice so it's a fragile trip.  (ha ha).   

The following day we are taking a 100-mile, one-way trip to which I will have made a banana pudding and chocolate-pecan delight (the four layer dessert).  These too will require ice for the trip.  

Honored Contributor

@KCFoxy wrote:

I am lucky enough to have a DH who is a former professional Cook...he drives an 18 wheel rig nowadays but expects to have July 3-5 off. Our plans include BBQ pork ribs, marinated brisket, baked beans with bacon, onions and brown sugar, potato salad, (I use a mix of half mayo and half sour cream), fresh corn on the cob, icy cold watermelon and possibly fresh strawberry short cake.

Sounds like a lot of food,right? Especially since it is just for the 2 of us, with leftovers galore. But factor in the 3 big fur babies and it doesn't seem too much...my job is to come up with the menus and provide the 'fine' seasoning, DH will do everything else including shopping and cleaning...what an amazing guy.

He's also managed to lose 170 pounds in the past 5 years, and his Type 2 diabetes is under excellent control. Fresh fruit or smoothies with yogurt or kefir the more typical desserts with lean meats, lots of salads and plenty of water. Just cutting out the sugary sodas and juice drinks plus most fast food stops (but not all) helped this Big Guy lose a couple of clothing sizes and regain health and self esteem.

Here are the kiddos

CheyenneMalabearandNikkiraregroupshot.jpg

And some of the Cook's finest

foodcelebratingSummerwithfreshsweetcornhoneyBBQribsandtatersaladohmy.jpg

Your kiddos are beautiful.  I loved being a Husky owner.

Respected Contributor

We're invited to my BIL & SILs home.  Just to hang out with them and another SIL.  Only will be five of us.  I am bringing dessert.  I am an OK cook, but it was just easier to order pies.  A cherry and coconut cream.  I know not so 4th of July-ish.  However, my DH, SIL and BIL love coconut cream pie.  The young woman who I order from makes delicious pies and are magazine picture worthy.  Everyone will have pie to take home to enjoy later.

Trusted Contributor

Our big family get-together was on the 2nd, as one of our group had to work on the 4th. The party was at our place; we just finished our screened-in patio & are paying back all the relatives who'd invited us for cold-weather get-togethers at their place (our home is too small to host large gatherings inside). Spouse smoked 2 6.5 lb portk shoulders on Saturday and we pulled the pork that night. We served the pulled pork along with smoked salmon, skinless brats, cold potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, and all the fixings for the brats and pulled pork sandwiches. Guests brought deviled eggs, chips, and 4 desserts (we had a birthday boy). We were so excited to finally host a large family party at our place. We ended up with some light rain just as guests were arriving so we had to all squeeze on the patio to eat, but it cleared up later, so we were able to set up the kids games outside. Lovely afternoon.

Frequent Contributor

St. Louis ribs

Sweet pork lagonica sausage with basil & cheese

Fried zucchini patties

Macaroni salad

Watermelon

Red, white and blue layer cake

Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

Gelato

Lemonade

Sangria

Honored Contributor

I was going to make pulled pork, ribs, potato salad, mac n' cheese, baked beans & Watergate salad but we got invited to friends for brisket & fixins. I asked would I could bring several times & told to bring the booze we wanted to drink. 

Since DH is off until Tues I will make this tomorrow so we can eat off it several days & not be in the kitchen cooking every day DH is off.

Enjoy your 4th everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

It's just we two this year and I will just do hotdogs, beans, and a salad of sort. 

What about you?

Hello @Puzzle Piece my friend Smiley Happy

Just three of us and it's 61 degrees out and overcast.  THAT is why people in SF rarely grill outdoors.

I recently bought the best George Foreman I could find and we'll be grilling burgers indoors for dinner and having baked beans with bacon added, bacon strips for the burgers, and macaroni salad.  DD suggested we get mac salad from a really good Hawaiian restaurant so we did.  No cooking!

Red cherries, blackberries and assorted 4th of July small desserts from a favorite bakery.

Have a wonderful day!