Trusted Contributor
JewelWisher your mom sounds like my granny was...she could throw a party. I do like the idea of the turkey and ham, that can be easily served...

I could do bow tie pasta, with ham and turkey, rolls, meatballs, I like the red/white grapes...I probably wouldn't do the sheet cakes, I was thinking brownies with no nuts. I could just order honey baked ham and turkey...I can do the pasta, fruit and brownies I can order from BJ's....

I was going to ask my son to come and serve...my sister, brother and brother in law are agents too but I am new to the family business, they will help as well:-)

I do like all the ideas....
Trusted Contributor
Last year I organized my previous company party for 100 people...I am good with a penny:-) the dollar tree has nice clear plastic dessert plates.

If I can do some of the cooking I think I can keep it low cost... I may go over $200 but I am going to try not too.

My sister says I make the best chicken salad in the planet...so much work to do that though. My meatballs I will do bbq sauce/grape jelly...yummy.
Respected Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
Last year I organized my previous company party for 100 people...I am good with a penny:-) the dollar tree has nice clear plastic dessert plates.

If I can do some of the cooking I think I can keep it low cost... I may go over $200 but I am going to try not too.

My sister says I make the best chicken salad in the planet...so much work to do that though. My meatballs I will do bbq sauce/grape jelly...yummy.

It sounds like you'll have a nice assortment of foods.  Maybe you can have your son bring the chicken salad made the night before from the house if he'll be helping.  I think brownies would be terrific.  Very few people don't like them.

Trusted Contributor
Yes, he could do that. I might ask my aunt if she can help me cook the day before..if I bought a ham and turkey I could cook and slice up myself. It would be served cold though, which I think is fine.

The chicken salad is a lot of work to debone I probably will avoid that much labor lol
Regular Contributor

For dessert at a shower for my son's fiance I ordered a tray of mini pastries from the bakery.  Was a much bigger hit than sheet cake.  Also  I got to choose things like brownies, mini cheesecake bites, petti fors. ...not sure of the spelling...mini tarts etc.

Honored Contributor

Costco has some great options too. I like their bite size spinach tarts and mini quiches. I serve these at showers I'm hosting. 

Valued Contributor

Hi @NativeJax,

Oh, that sounds like fun!

What would I serve that would be unique? My latest obsession are these national flag plates which were made for the Sydney International Food Festival.  I think they are beautiful.  I have shown a few, below,  but all 18 can be seen by googling "Sydney International Food Festival National Flags" where descriptions of the ingredients and which country they represent can be found.

I would make some of them (maybe changing out some ingredients, like mozerella cubes instead of spaghetti on the first one), on the same rectangular white plates and line them up in a row.  I would probably give out a little prize for anyone who could tell me the names of all the countries.   Of course, the people who arrived earlier would have a better chance at winning😀    I would put out a bowl of those Meyer Lemon Shortbread Scrabble Cookies (last picture). The recipe can be found on the "When Adobo Met Feijoada" blog.

Good luck on your event! 

1. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Valued Contributor

My sugesstion for easy desserts are iced brownies and a bread pudding with a brandi sauce sitting close. They both are cheap to make and easily cut and plated ahead of time.

Respected Contributor

Finger food: I would love a few bite size pieces of tomato pie ( pizza with only a slight sprinkle of Romano cheese ).

Marble-sized meatballs on a toothpick for protein.

Tiny cupcakes...homemade from a box with chocolate icing.

Tiny paper cups with two types of nuts.

It is so lunchtime here that I am starving !!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

Loved reading your post !  How sweet of you to reply such great idea's !

@Imadickens wrote:

My mother was always the hostess with the mostest! For open houses like these she always had a turkey at one end of the table and a ham at the other. She had assorted small breads and rolls, fancy cranberry relish, and mayos. Then, there could be a salmon mousse, a gelatin mold, a homemade cheese ball, crudités and on another table, finger sweets! A fun idea is to make cream puff shells (they're remarkably easy,) and fill with various meat salads, like chicken, egg, and ham. Water chestnuts wrapped in bacon are showy, and you can split medium shrimp lengthwise, marinate them in a sauce of choice, wrap in bacon and broil! Delish! I know I'm boring, but I still love good pigs in blankets!  Now days, small assorted sandwich wraps are fun. The idea, I guess, is to 1. know your guest list- do many not eat certain foods? Are there any severe allergies? You can't cater to everyone, but if over half are say, vegan, you will flop if most of your food is meat based!  Also, anything with nuts should be labeled as such!            2. Know your budget- parties like these can get expensive fast! If you have an open budget, go for the sun! But, if not, pick one or two showy things, and splurge, then take it easy on the rest! If you take care of the little things (like serving dips out of hollowed out colored peppers and making deviled eggs, but use a piping bag to fill them!) your party will be a wow! Also, a fun table, set with a theme adds pizzaz! Find unique serving dishes you have and see if a few of them have the same feel. If so, go with it!  3. Finally, plan for things that don't require you to do a lot of last minute prep work! If you can hire help, do! (Even a high school girl who will walk around and pick up dirty dishes and glasses, and refill empty items) This allows you to enjoy the party as well! You will always keep track of what is going on, but if you aren't the only one, you can mingle with ease! Have fun, most of all!

Sorry, I just noticed it's at your office! You'll need to definitely do make ahead items! For 50 people under $200 I wouldn't try to serve dinner, although some people will try to fill up! Little meatballs are a great idea. Do some in tomato sauce and some sweet sauer! Or, do sausage in the tomato! Deviled eggs or a big bowl of egg salad with dinner rolls is nice! You mention fruit, individual fruit skewers are fun! I would consider doing all finger food! It will save on buying the unite sil's. Also, use dessert plates, otherwise, plan on dinner for 50 which I doubt will come in under $200! More like $500-700 I'd say! What ever you do, if you have fun, so will your guests! If you are celebrating your license, maybe get a few bottles of something bubbly, and have a toast! BT w, congratulations!