Trusted Contributor
I am hosting an open house to my friends/family/business associates next month. It will be on a Friday after work at my office. I am now a licensed insurance agent and want to do a social, keeping it light.

The hours will be from 5-7:30. I think I will have about 50 people drop by.i know I could just order some platters from Publix and I may end up doing that but would love to do something unique.

Thanks!
Honored Contributor

I would suggest a caterer with servers

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Hi NativeJax!

First...Congrads, on receiving your license.  That is great!

I would do finger foods...Here are some suggestions.

*   Prosciutto wrapped around Cantaloupe Melon Wedges

*   Red & White Seadless Grapes placed in large bowl

*   Assorted Sushi Trays ...

If you do this I would suggest doing the following: 

*   "Vegitarian" Sushi Tray - Only Vegitables - And    makesure that they are MARKED VEGITARIAN  

*   "Seafood" Sushi Tray - Crab and Shrimp...Make     Sure that it is Marked SHELLFISH SUSHI (For many people are allergic to Shellfood) 

*  Sparkling Waters / Soft Drinks

*  White Zinfandel Wine

Trusted Contributor
Hi BellaButterfly!

I actually did think about sushi because two blocks down is a nice sushi house and I can do the fruit myself and the prosciutto myself which would save me money:-)
Respected Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
Hi BellaButterfly!

I actually did think about sushi because two blocks down is a nice sushi house and I can do the fruit myself and the prosciutto myself which would save me money:-)

The problem is, not everyone likes sushi😕

Respected Contributor

Re: What would you serve?

[ Edited ]

Congratulations!!  What do the people coming like to eat?  Where I live, you can't go wrong with a large pan of lasagna, which is easy to make.  Are there certain regional dishes that most people like?  You might want to include one or two of them just to make sure something will be popular.

Also, I always need something that's very high in protein to go along with the rest of the food offered, whether it's bread, pasta, dessert, or fruit.  All of that is carbs.  What about chicken or some other protein?

If you're doing it youself, you could get some fruit at the supermarket and fill a couple of bowls with it, like another poster suggested above.  What is in season and so fresh and on sale?

I would include a traditional dessert, such as a sheet cake, as well.  You could have some kind of message written on it. 

Trusted Contributor
That's true....what do you suggest? I don't have a stove at the office, just a fridge. I did think about meatballs because they are easy and I can cook those in a crock pot. I know it's after work on a Friday so I would think people will be hungry. I would like to keep the event under $200 and I think I can do that with the right menu that I can prepare some myself.

I was going to make homemade sangria.
Trusted Contributor
Oh, I live in Florida so in October we can still get pretty much anything in terms of fruit.
Respected Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
That's true....what do you suggest? I don't have a stove at the office, just a fridge. I did think about meatballs because they are easy and I can cook those in a crock pot. I know it's after work on a Friday so I would think people will be hungry. I would like to keep the event under $200 and I think I can do that with the right menu that I can prepare some myself.

I was going to make homemade sangria.

Sangria sounds great!  If you're having meatballs, will they be in tomato sauce?  That sounds delicious.  I'd suggest getting some really nice bread at a bakery, or rolls.  You could get French bread or ciabatta rolls.  Trader Joe's has great ciabatta rolls, but they're not cheap.  You might get a better deal with a bakery. 

Then you could offer some roasted chicken fresh from the supermarket if that's convenient.

Is there a bakery near your office where you could order rolls and a sheet cake and have them ready just before the event?

Respected Contributor

Re: What would you serve?

[ Edited ]

My mother was always the hostess with the mostest! For open houses like these she always had a turkey at one end of the table and a ham at the other. She had assorted small breads and rolls, fancy cranberry relish, and mayos. Then, there could be a salmon mousse, a gelatin mold, a homemade cheese ball, crudités and on another table, finger sweets! A fun idea is to make cream puff shells (they're remarkably easy,) and fill with various meat salads, like chicken, egg, and ham. Water chestnuts wrapped in bacon are showy, and you can split medium shrimp lengthwise, marinate them in a sauce of choice, wrap in bacon and broil! Delish! I know I'm boring, but I still love good pigs in blankets!  Now days, small assorted sandwich wraps are fun. The idea, I guess, is to 1. know your guest list- do many not eat certain foods? Are there any severe allergies? You can't cater to everyone, but if over half are say, vegan, you will flop if most of your food is meat based!  Also, anything with nuts should be labeled as such!            2. Know your budget- parties like these can get expensive fast! If you have an open budget, go for the sun! But, if not, pick one or two showy things, and splurge, then take it easy on the rest! If you take care of the little things (like serving dips out of hollowed out colored peppers and making deviled eggs, but use a piping bag to fill them!) your party will be a wow! Also, a fun table, set with a theme adds pizzaz! Find unique serving dishes you have and see if a few of them have the same feel. If so, go with it!  3. Finally, plan for things that don't require you to do a lot of last minute prep work! If you can hire help, do! (Even a high school girl who will walk around and pick up dirty dishes and glasses, and refill empty items) This allows you to enjoy the party as well! You will always keep track of what is going on, but if you aren't the only one, you can mingle with ease! Have fun, most of all!

Sorry, I just noticed it's at your office! You'll need to definitely do make ahead items! For 50 people under $200 I wouldn't try to serve dinner, although some people will try to fill up! Little meatballs are a great idea. Do some in tomato sauce and some sweet sauer! Or, do sausage in the tomato! Deviled eggs or a big bowl of egg salad with dinner rolls is nice! You mention fruit, individual fruit skewers are fun! I would consider doing all finger food! It will save on buying the unite sil's. Also, use dessert plates, otherwise, plan on dinner for 50 which I doubt will come in under $200! More like $500-700 I'd say! What ever you do, if you have fun, so will your guests! If you are celebrating your license, maybe get a few bottles of something bubbly, and have a toast! BT w, congratulations!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.