Honored Contributor

Re: What would you do with these?

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

I would donate them to the food bank.

Too hot for my taste, so would I.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat That sounds really good to me!  I can't wait for the results!  Five stars I'll bet!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife 

This recipe is to be served hot?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love to use chipotle peppers and the adobo sauce for recipes where I want some heat, and to enhance the smoky flavor, beyond cumin.  

I never use the entire can in one dish!  I add 2 whole peppers and a heaping tablespoon of the sauce with Dr Pepper, brown sugar and quartered onions, when I do a low and slow pork roast in the oven.  The rest go into the freezer.  

I use the peppers and sauce in chili, vegetable soup, meat for tacos, burritos and fajitas, beef and pork BBQ, bean salad, add a small pepper and a small amount of sauce to macaroni salad.  I added a very small amount of adobo sauce to my mayo mix for cole slaw, which was well received by my family.   

A lot of our food has fresh jalapeño, Serrano, or the chipotle peppers and adobo sauce in it; we like a subtle heat.  Am thinking of adding chipotle pepper to a small batch of Mexican cornbread.  

@house_cat 

I would not use more than one very small pepper or a teaspoon of the sauce with pork chops unless you and your husband really like heat!

Respected Contributor

@RedTop that pork recipe sounds very very good.  I have some in the freezer.  Any chance you can add the recipe with specific amounts?  thank so much

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@RespectLife 

This recipe is to be served hot?

Up to you....I have served very warm right from the stove and room temp.

There rarely is leftovers, but I have eaten it as a cold side dish from the fridge as well!

My fav is warm.

Honored Contributor

I love chipotles!! They do keep a very long time in the refer but I usually separate them and freeze them. Sometimes I puree them for the freezer too, and use what I need .DD and I like the heat so I put a bit in mexican dishes or in salad dressings, scrambled eggs, soups, dips ,even in cr cheese for bagels. also good in chili, and to zip up salsas and marinades.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat 

I  recently had my first taste of chipotle ranch dressing on a salad that included chunks of  roasted chicken over lettuce.  I'm usually a plain ranch dressing fan.

It was delicious.  Maybe you could find a way to blend some into not just ranch dressing, but some other dressings or sauces.

Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond, really likes those and uses them in a lot of her recipes...soups, stews, Mexican dishes. I think she was the one who had me buy a can when I was making one of her concoctions. HA! As I recall, a little of them goes a long way in the heat department, or maybe I'm just a wimp. I also seem to recall that if you open a can and don't use them all you can freeze them...then just pull out some when you need them.

I tried her pulled pork recipe, where she added these, and WHOA! 😳🥵

I can enjoy a little heat, but that was too much. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Exactly!  Ree's use of chipotle peppers was also too bold for us.  That recipe was my first use of chipotle peppers, and once I tasted a dab of the sauce, I knew I would be using less than she did.  2 peppers and a big spoonful of the sauce are enough for my family.   

@cindyNC 

I do not cook by recipes, and this is not one of those need to measure dishes.  

I put my pork roast in the Dutch oven and use enough Dr Pepper to cover it; Coke, Pepsi, or root beer work just fine.  If my roast is quite large and I want a lot of cooked onions, I use 3-4 quartered; but always at least 2, and the type of onion does not matter.   I use anywhere from a half cup to a full cup of brown sugar, along with the 2 chipotle peppers and sauce.   Cover and roast in 275-300 degree oven for 5-6 hours.   Shred meat with fork.