Respected Contributor

Re: What would you cook for a friend after surgery?

Another idea is a egg casserole or quiche, can be eaten anytime of day and easy on the tummy.

Honored Contributor

Chicken, rice, green beans, French bread.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin

My neighbor recently had a hip replacement, so I went to a local bakery/cooking shop in town that is reknowned for fabulous  ready-to-bake chicken pot pies.  

Seems to me that any meal the patient or family members can heat up whenever they're ready is the way to go.

The pie and accompanying fresh-baked baguette and well-seasoned green beans  seemed to hit the spot, and both the surgery patient and her husband went back to that store the very next week to get another pie.  They had not been familiar with the place before that.

Other neighbors brought chicken soup and chicken with dumplings during that week.  I was glad I was the first to bring the chicken!  

Honored Contributor

Such a good friend you are!!! Cook anything you think she will like. Losts of protein and healthy ingredients to help her heal. My beautiful SIL and niece cooked me a weeks worth of casseroles when I was going thru chemo----They were in small portions and put into the freezer. My family was thrilled as was I--I wasn't doing much cooking back then. Always fun to try new things other people make. Added a side dish and maybe a green salad and it was lovely!!!

Respected Contributor

Thank you all so much!    Yesterday  I brought her and her hubby a large platter of chicken Francese,  and linguine with garlic and fresh parsley.  Enough for at least 2 nights.   Figured the lemony flavors of the Francese might be light to eat.  She said she didn't have much appetite.    I'd like to make them chicken pot pies too...i make them for us, with puff pastry top , and they are DELISH.  I wrap them well in individual ramekins and freeze them...then bake them whenever I want to have them.    

She was so grateful!    I'm just happy to be of any bit of help...they don't have any family here, and she just lost her sister to breast cancer that spread, this past September.   Prayers for and her husband.  Appreciate all the replies here☺☺

Respected Contributor

@sannJust go easy on the salt !!That's the safest way .

Respected Contributor

Ask her if she has any cravings?

I was in the hospital for two weeks this summer and all I wanted was bagels, lox and cream cheese and tapioca pudding. Also I'd discovered sweet potato fries in the hospital and loved them. They were baked, not fried. Made from scratch but I got the frozen and baked them at 400 degrees.

Also if she has no appetite ask her if her doctor wants her to add Ensure or Boost. Cut it with gingerale and put in a tall glass with lots of ice.

I have Crohn's disease and it's been a lifesaver for me. Chocolate is the only flavor that has a decent taste. When my good friend had chemo her doctor told her to drink it and she called me in tears. I came over and made her an Ensure cocktail. I found the Rite Aid brand tasted better than the brand name.

She had tried drinking vanilla at room temperature.

You are a dear friend.

Esteemed Contributor

The first I'd do is ask her about her likes and dislikes.  Also, keep in mind that protein is the building block for healing, so something like a soup, thin on the protein side, might not be such a good idea right now, unless this is her request.

The chicken pot pie someone suggested sounds really good - and it's comfort food, too.  Love anything that falls into the comfort food category.  (Claimjumper Restaurant makes a great meatloaf with smashed potatoes.  Though not a Claimjumper fan nor a meatloaf fan, a friend took me there once and I ordered it.  Was very surprised - it was so yummy and I'm the world's worst critic!  Took my husband there 2 years ago Father's Day and they had a fixed menu.  We walked out after 3 bites.  Worst food I've ever, ever had in my life in a restaurant.)

Regarding the pineapple, be sure to ask her if it bothers her stomach, as some people can't eat it due to acid issues.

So nice of you to be there for her in terms of "food support."  This takes a load off of her husband, so know he really appreciates it.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for your kind thoughts. So far she's doing very well. I had a bit of a setback here as I just found out my dog has lymphoma...very heartbroken and doing everything to keep her comfortable. I'll be sure to offer her another meal this week sometime.
Honored Contributor

If they like Italian food lasagna would be a good choice.  DH could warm up or freeze leftovers for future use.

Baked chicken with scalloped potatoes or mac and cheese would also be great along with a veggie they both like.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~