Honored Contributor

Re: What would you cook for a friend after surgery?

It depends on what type of surgery she had.  If it were me I would call her and ask her what she is capable and wanting to eat.  I would also fix something special for hubby too since he is the caregiver at this time.  She just might be hungry for a pizza,  or a cheeseburger, one never knows.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

First I would start off with chicken soup which is good for whatever ails

you. I would cook something plain, maybe a roasted chicken, baked potato, and green beans.

Respected Contributor

Ok...I didn't know if I was allowed to elaborate. She had a mastectomy...no dietary restrictions. We limit sugary desserts, cancer cells love sugar. But I'm mainly I'm hoping to prepare a nutritious main course for both of them. Her stomach a bit upset today...but by this weekend, I think she'll down some food. Thank you all soooo much!
Trusted Contributor

I would like a Rotisserie chicken that way they can have some for sandwich the next day, some kind of rice maybe lemon  with a little butter and green salad with a touch of raspberry vingeritte.  Ummm, sounds like I've planned dinner tonight.

Respected Contributor

The chicken pot pies sound good. I make them, and freeze. Super hearty, and delish. They can bake them whenever they feel. Thank you on that one!
Respected Contributor

I can tell you what not to bring.  When I had surgery, a well meaning friend brought me a huge bowl of outback steakhouse onion soup.  The pain meds had made me really sick and the smell of that soup stunk up the whole house.  I was super sensitive to smells.   Be careful with some of those veggies because they can become gassy when combined with meds.  

I would stick to something bland for a couple of days.  Like a roast chicken or fish, baked potatoes, custard or rice pudding, tea.  Maybe volunteer to stay with her while DH goes out to eat what he likes. 

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin I usually either cook or get them chicken from their favorite restaurant. One of my friends loves fish so I cook her favorite Salmon dish or Sole, if she is on a restricted diet. For dessert, a fruit salad is usually good, if it was not a gastric surgery. Then when my friends recover, I make them chocolate mousse, they make me promise to make them mousse. One of my friends recently had a minor heart surgery and she wanted Banana Pudding. I was floored. Talk about heavy but gooood. I got it for her from Magnolia Bakery. Next time, hopefully there won't be any next time, I'll try to make it myself. I hope your friend feels better.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Esteemed Contributor

As long as there are no diet restrictions.....when i broke my arm my sister made me a delicious container of homemade macaroni and cheese.............i was able to eat some and freeze some..........great comfort food!!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There was a recipe for a Chicken and Dumpling Casserole posted here awhile back.  It is very good!!!  It is made with cooked chicken, mixture of milk, flour, butter, Cream of Chicken Soup, and broth made from Better Than Bouillon.

It definitely makes enough for two meals/two people.  I buy a small can of Grand's Biscuits (makes 5)...bake and serve casserole over them.....yummy!  If you can't find recipe here, I could post it, if interested.

Also, another thought, how about a basket of mini-breakfast muffins/rolls or coffee cake with some specialty tea and/or coffee to start the day?

Note.......I just put it in search box above....found recipe.....posted in 2016.....thank you Charhug!!!

Respected Contributor

Thank you all soooo much. I'm going to her tomorrow...so I'll shop in the morning and cook it up!! Great suggestions here!!!