Honored Contributor

What type of sausage do you use in your stuffing?

I have copied several interesting recipes for various stuffings for this Thanksgiving and several call for sausage so I would like to know what type of sausage do you prefer if you use sausage in your stuffing.

Thanks everybody!

Super Contributor

Re: What type of sausage do you use in your stuffing?

I use Jimy Dean

Honored Contributor

I don't, but I think that Aidell's Chicken and Apple sausage would be fantastic in stuffing and now I might have to give it a try myself.

Honored Contributor

Parks-Hot-Sausage.jpg

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for the replies ladies I really appreciate it!

I've never made stuffing with sausage in it before so I am very interested in any and all replies . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Parks-Hot-Sausage.jpg

ACK! . . . yet another reason why I need to move to the East Coast because I can't seem to find any outlet in the midwest nor does it appear that they ship . . . I bet this is delicious on a year round basis . . . YUM!

Honored Contributor

I do!  I wrote my own recipe a number of years ago.  I don't stuff it in a turkey, however, as that's kind of gross.  But I make it in a casserole dish and bake it.

Anyway, what I like is that I buy one pound of Jimmy Dean hot sausage and one pound of Jimmy Dean sage sausage.

Since I only need a total of one pound, I par-freeze them and then cut each one in half.  I stick the other half of hot and sage together, vacuum seal them, and then back in the freezer they go for another time.

So I have one half lb of hot and one half lb of sage.  I don't do 'hot' so it's really not hot at all but it goes really well with the sage sausage.   I also cook up some wild rice and mix it together with the sausage  the drippings from cooking the sausage flavors the wild rice nicely.  Then I mix that in with the other stuff.  I make croutons out of sourdough that I toast with olive oil and herbs, then there's the veg that I saute (celery, onion and whatever else - fortunately, I have it written down).  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloeYesterday at the grocery store, three different flavors of Bob Evans sausage were on sale--original flavor, hot, and sage.

Jimmy Dean and other makers might also sell the sage flavor at this time of year.

I no longer add sausage to my stuffing,  but would use the sage if I wasn't  making the stuffing with Pepperidge Farm herb-seasoned crumbs which already contain  sage. 

My favorite additions to stuffing these days are plenty of chopped celery and onions.........and of course, gravy served with it.

Here's wishing everyone a flavorful and enjoyable Thanksgiving!

Honored Contributor

Thank you all so much!  I normally don't buy breakfast sausage but was going to check it out next time I went to the store but now that I know they make a sage one for this time of year I think we have a winner . . . sincere thanks again everyone!

Honored Contributor

Novamc - the great thing is that the Jimmy Dean Sage variety is always available - year around.   

Whenever the JD sausage is on sale I usually buy some hot and sage and combine them as I mentioned before and freeze them in chubs of half and half.    I not only like that hot/sage combination for the dressing but I like it for other sausage uses as well.  Smiley Happy