Valued Contributor

Re: What to Substitute for Diced Green Chile Peppers

It's fun to experiment when you have to substitute. Often better than what I expected.

Respected Contributor

Kath, let us know how it turns out. It sounds like a great dish for a cold snowy evening.
Respected Contributor

I have a chili recipe which actually calls for a whole jar of green salsa. It's yummy.

Honored Contributor

On 2/1/2015 DiAnne said:

Diced green chilies have no heat and not much flavor so I don't think it would even matter if you left them out.

Diced green Chilis can have a LOT of heat and have a very distinct flavor. You must not be eating New Mexico Hatch green chili. It comes mild, medium and hot. I buy it frozen.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

We had our chicken chili after half time using your suggestions & it was a winner. Dh deemed it worthy of sharing with our friends. I will post the recipe with the changes I made in( ) s. I am on an iPad, so apologize in advance for the formatting. Chicken Chili Monterey 1-2 Tbsp oil I use 1 & add broth if necessary, 1 C chopped onion, (2/3 C diced green pepper), 2 tsp minced garlic, 3 tsp chili powder recipe calls for 4-6 tsp, 1 tsp cumin, 2 15 oz cans cannellini or white kidney beans rinsed & drained, 32 oz chicken broth, 3 1/2 C water, (1/2 C mild salsa verde) substituted for 1 4 oz can diced green chilis, 3 C chopped, cooked chicken, 2-4 Tbsp snipped fresh or 1 Tbsp dried cilantro(I omitted this time), Directions: Sauté onion, green pepper & garlic in oil about 4 minutes, until onion & pepper is tender. Stir in chili powder & cumin; stir & cook about one minute adding 1-2 Tbsp broth, if needed. Add beans, chicken broth, water & salsa verde or green chili peppers, stir well. Bring to broil, reduce heat & simmer, covered for 10 minutes. Stir in chicken & cilantro; simmer covered about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Makes eight 11/2 C servings. Thank you, ladies, for your help. We really liked the revised version & will make it this way in the future
Respected Contributor

Yea, Kath! How awesome your adaptation was a hit. Thanks for posting your recipe.
Esteemed Contributor

Glad your chili was a success. Love it when a 'mistake' becomes a winner! Your recipe sound delicious. Will have to try it.

Honored Contributor

On 2/1/2015 Kachina624 said:
On 2/1/2015 DiAnne said:

Diced green chilies have no heat and not much flavor so I don't think it would even matter if you left them out.

Diced green Chilis can have a LOT of heat and have a very distinct flavor. You must not be eating New Mexico Hatch green chili. It comes mild, medium and hot. I buy it frozen.

No I have never had frozen Hatch chiles. I was talking about the diced green chiles in a can that the OP was talking about.

Honored Contributor

DiAnne, Hatch chili is available canned as well as frozen.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

We think frozen is better than canned too..and they can be very hot..

In early fall hatch green chilies are trucked up to our grocery stores in SW Colorado and they are roasted in 55 gallon mesh drums...by the boxful...in the parking lots..you then buy the roasted chillies for about 18 dollars a box...the boxes are shy of a bushel...take them home and freeze them for later use...the smell from the chillies is amazing..we always say we wish they'd make a candle of roasted chili smell..lol...they are amazing...DW