Valued Contributor

What's your favorite soup recipe?

Love soup this time of year.  What's your favorite recipe?  

I just tried a recipe from the latest "taste of Home" for corn chowder - a real keeper!

Turkey Corn Chowder Recipe: How to Make It (tasteofhome.com)

It was a Grand Prize winner in one of their contests.  I left out two major ingredients and it was still great!  It called for leftover turkey which I didn't have.  I also forgot to take frozen hash browns out of freezer so those got left out also!

Turkey Corn Chowder

Ingredients

• 1 pound thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
  • 3 celery ribs, sliced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken stock
  • 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup whole milk
  • 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 3-1/2 cups frozen corn (about 17.5 ounces)
  • 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
  • 2 cups refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes (about 10 ounces)
  • 3/4 cup turkey gravy
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
  • Thinly sliced green onions, optional

Directions

• 1. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1/4 cup in pan. Add celery, onion, carrot, red onion and bay leaf; cook and stir over medium-high heat until vegetables are tender, 8-10 minutes.
  • 2. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in stock. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add soup, cream cheese, milk and cream; mix well. Stir in corn, turkey, hash browns, gravy, parsley and 3/4 cup reserved bacon; reduce heat. Cook, covered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • 3. Discard bay leaf. Serve with remaining bacon and, if desired, green onions.
Honored Contributor

Re: What's your favorite soup recipe?

Michigan Onion Soup---it calls for some apple juice. 

And ----of course My Moms Wedding soup.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

When the weather turns, I love having a pot of homemade veggie soup on the stove.  ...easy, hearty, and comforting. 

Respected Contributor

Our favorite is a veggie beef soup.  I have no recipe, I just cook a beef shank or two the day before. I remove the meat and cool the stock and get rid of the fat.  

I then use the stock and add back the meat and veggies and some barley.  Simmer til the veggies are tender and then serve.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I never use a recipe for soup, just an idea and what I have. 

Can chicken and dumplings count (Bisquick dumplings--13 min lid off; 13 min lid on)?

Lasagna soup

Veggie soup (garbage soup) from what's in the fridge.

Cream of celery or caluiflower soup.

Respected Contributor

Green split pea and ham soup.  I use the recipe on the back of Goya split peas.  I buy a ham steak (the one with the little round bone) and throw it all in my crockpot.  

Makes a lot and it is delicious.  I freeze it in 2 cup containers.

Trusted Contributor

Onion soup on the back of Au jus packet. 

I add a half cup of water to 3 cups chopped onions and saute( instead of butter)  til see through, add 3 cups  water and cover for 10 minutes, so good, add cheese on top when served with some croutons in soup bowls. 

It is the best onion soup I have ever had. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My family's favorite is turkey or chicken green chile soup. I use turkey leftovers after Thanksgiving and Christmas, or use a rotisserie chicken from Costco if I don't have turkey leftovers. I don't use specific recipe amounts but here is the basic makeup of the soup.

I use a big cast iron pot to make my soup. You can vary the amounts as you like. 

4-6 cups cooked turkey meat or rotisserie chicken meat

I prefer white meat but also use some dark meat; your preference. 

1-2 cartons of chicken stock ( low sodium) or more if needed.

2-3 cans mild diced green chiles

1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted 

1 can creamstyle corn 

1/2 cup instant rice, uncooked

1/4 tsp rubbed sage

1/4 tsp cumin

salt and pepper to taste 

1/3-1/2 cup chopped yellow onion

1/4 cup thinly sliced celery

Bring chicken stock to a simmer and add turkey or chicken. Cover and simmer awhile, then add the canned cream of chicken soup. Use a whisk and stir into the stock until it is smooth. Then add other ingredients. Cover  and let simmer 19 minutes and then check the rice and add more stock if needed. The rice and soup will serve as the thickener, so add more stock as needed. Cover and bring almost. to a boil, then keep covered, turn down to simmer until celery and onions are soft . Stir several times during the simmering. We like the soup thicker than thin. You can control the thickness using more rice to thicken or more stock to thin. 
I serve this soup ladled over leftover cornbread dressing during the holidays, or make cornbread other times and serve the cornbread as a muffin or squares along side the bowl of soup. 
My sons like the soup more than Thanksgiving dinner! 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Always add a can of mild Rotel to your veggie beef soup...doesn't make it spicy hot but amps up the flavor significantly. When I was out of Rotel and made the soup, it tasted bland and terrible. I can only find the mild Rotel at WM...the grocery store here only carries the regular or hot versions.

Regular Contributor

Turkey Cabbage Stew

Ingredients
  • 1 pound lean ground turkey
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 cups chopped cabbage
  • 2 medium carrots, sliced
  • 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions
  1. Cook the turkey, onion and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, 5-7 minutes, breaking up turkey into crumbles; drain.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 12-15 minutes.

I usually just buy a bag of coleslaw mix to use instead of a head of cabbage and I also put in more vinegar and brown sugar than is called for to amp up those flavors.  It's delicious!