Respected Contributor

Re: What's your favorite side dish recipe?

Any roasted vegetable.

Honored Contributor

Here is an easy side dish that kids and adults like. 

Roll out a puffed pastry (I just get the pillsbury kind that’s usually with the butter, cookie dough, biscuits refrigerated case)

Brush a little olive oil on it (I use a spritzer with Trader Joe’s olive oil and garlic infusion)

Sprinkle on Mozarella Cheese

Add a few sliced Roman tomatoes

Top with fresh Basil

Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 12 minutes 

Trusted Contributor

My favorite sides are roasted yams & beets together, a spicy brown rice, love salads

with some homemade avacodo dressing. otherwise I like my salads dry,

sauteed cabbage/onions/apples,

mashed cauliflower - I just put cut up cauliflower in covered bowl with a couple tbs of water and microwave for a 10 minutes, mash and add garlic and whatever else I want.

And love love love zucchini pancakes as a side -  I use the skinnytaste recipe.

Trusted Contributor

I have a few that seem to be my go to sides when I can't think to be more creative!  One is sauteed carrots in ginger ale - no kidding!  They make their own glaze as they cook and the ginger ale reduces.  Add a pinch of chili powder - really, just a pinch and they are truly divine.

The next is roasted root veggies - carrots, parsnips, maybe a couple of potatoes (white or sweet) and butternut squash.  Toss in olive oil, a little salt and lots of black pepper.  Maybe some herbs de provence, too.  Roast at 400 for about a half hour or so.

I also like to do roasted broccoli when I can get the fresh stuff on sale.  Toss the florets in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at about 400 degrees for 20 minutes or so.  When you pull them out the little flower things at the tips of the broccoli are dark brown and crunchy, then I squirt with lemon juice and toss with some parmesan cheese.  Yum!  

Honored Contributor

I have one green bean dish I make for Thanksgiving that I like.  It's not a recipe that I found, however, as I pretty much made it up  myself.

It's just green beans (I buy a bag of the frozen small, whole ones as you cannot get good fresh one around here), pancetta, mushrooms (NOT canned!), sliced almonds, lemon zest, and a bit of lemon juice.

Other than that, I could eat mashed potatoes all the time.  I don't make mine like most, so I don't imagine that w/b popular here. 

I also love baked sweet potatoes - the ones with the very light flesh and beigey skins - just little olive oil, s&P, in aluminum foil, and bake.  I can usually only eat half of one as a meal so I cut them in half and wrap/bake each half separately.    Little more s&P after I open it up, and some butter.  

Trusted Contributor

I'll be trying the carrots sauteed in ginger ale.  Thanks Sammijo

Trusted Contributor

It must be the Irish in me...I love potatoes of any kind. 

Two of my favorites are oven roasted potatoes, cubed with skin on, mixed with a flavored olive oil such as parmesan or garlic, and salt/pepper to taste. 

Another is a potato casserole that tastes like a twice baked potato.  Boiled potatoes are then shredded on a grater and mixed with sour cream, cheddar cheese, green onion and butter.   Baked until a lovely golden color.   Very calorie laden, though, so this is only made on holidays! 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Carmie@GenXmuse, Just yesterday, I did run across a cabbage recipe that had cabbage in it.  So thanks for your ideas too.

@qualitygal,We used to cook very course cut cabbage in a cast iron frying pan with a little oil, salt and pepper.  Even as a child I loved it!

Honored Contributor

Now my favorite is this, and it's SO fresh, flavorful, and just plain good!Smiley Happy

Spinach Cheddar Casserole

3 C Fresh spinach (8 good handfuls) steamed 10 minutes and drained

2 Cans recipe cut tomatoes, drained

1 med -lg onion coarsely chopped

1/4 C Heinz Chili Sauce

1 C cracker crumbs from Ritz crackers (not bread crumbs)

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp paprika

1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated

1 C real bacon bits

Heat Oven to 350 degrees

Place 1/2 of the steamed spinach in a deep buttered casserole.

Spread 1/2 of the following: chili sauce, tomatoes, onions, salt, pepper, cheese, and cracker crumbs.

Repeat ADDING BACON BEFORE ENDING IN CRUMBS

Bake 25 minutes.  Enjoy!!!