Valued Contributor

Re: What's your favorite side dish recipe?

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/caesar-salad-dressing.html

Best homemade caesar dressing ever.  I use the small heads of lettuce from Costco but for the life of me I can't remember the name.  This lettuce is my all time favorite for caesar salad.  

http://www.recipetineats.com/cheese-and-bacon-potato-skins/

These potatoes rock.  I make them all the time.  Nagi is my favorite food blogger.  

Here is another of her recipes that is gone in a blink of an eye.

http://www.recipetineats.com/cheese-garlic-crack-bread-pull-apart-bread/

We're having these dishes tonight with a steak.  YUMMMMM

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Side dishes are important.  So many dishes make meat, fish and poultry the main thing, but I think the poor side dish is overlooked.  I'm going to try and search out some great and even healthy side dishes.  Not all would rate healthy, but once in awhile, go for it.  Life is short!! LOL  On those, shoot for "it tastes great!"

Almost anything made from the lowly potato!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal   This recipe can be used as a main dish or a side to chicken or turkey.

Vegetable Casserole Deluxe

2 qt. casserole - 350 oven

1 pkg. 10 oz. frozen califlower or fresh

1 can 15-1/2 oz. green beans drain or fresh

1/2 c. chopped onion

1/2 c. chopped celery

1/2 t. seasoned salt

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

1 cup Pepperidge Farm crumbled poultry stuffing mix.

1/4 c. butter

1/2 to 3/4 shredded cheddar or colby cheese

Cook califlower (you can also use fresh) and fresh green beans but cook both first to firm not over cooked.    Drain.

In bowl mix califlower, beans, onion, celery, salt and soups and stuffing mix.  Turn into casserole dot w/butter and bake 30 min.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese and return for 8 min.  Serve at once.

This is a delicious veg. casserole.  Enjoy.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I’ve been stir-frying a lot of cabbage lately in some butter and bacon. So easy and lower carb since my husband is doing Paleo now to reduce his triglycerides. 

Honored Contributor

I make potato or pierogi side dishes to please my husband, but my favorites are salads, and roasted vegetables.  I love bean salad, caggage salad and red beet salad and a mixed green salad.  One my list is fried cabbage and fried apples.

Out of all of the food groups, my favorites are vegetable and legumes.

Honored Contributor

@BaileyBop, Wow, thank you for those sites.  I've saved it and will go back and look through it further.  It does have some good recipes, that I just might try.  That bread one, caught my eye.  Just for beginnings.  Thank you again fo taking the time to post.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Katcat1, I'll add this one to my folder.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie@GenXmuse, Just yesterday, I did run across a cabbage recipe that had cabbage in it.  So thanks for your ideas too.

Honored Contributor

We love cole slaw; cabbage, carrot, a hint of onion with a dressing of mayo, sugar and vinegar.  

Super Contributor

I cook some jasmine rice in my rice cooker, than sauté some green onions and celery with some butter in a skillet. Add that to the cooked rice with some butter, salt and pepper to taste. My husband loves this with salmon and steamed broccoli. It's really tasty and easy to throw together!