Honored Contributor

What's your favorite side dish recipe?

Side dishes are important.  So many dishes make meat, fish and poultry the main thing, but I think the poor side dish is overlooked.  I'm going to try and search out some great and even healthy side dishes.  Not all would rate healthy, but once in awhile, go for it.  Life is short!! LOL  On those, shoot for "it tastes great!"

Honored Contributor

Re: What's your favorite side dish recipe?

Our favorite side dish is green bean casserole. I'm usually elected to bring it. I know it's boring to some but sure do like it. I use a little more pepper in mine but follow the recipe on the French fried onions.

Esteemed Contributor

This all depends on the main dish...

w/ pasta (Sunday sauce) none is needed.

If I do a chicken & rice or chicken & stuffing in the oven, then I also like baby carrots baked in the same dish.

For picnic foods - coleslaw or other salad.

With fish, I like peas.

Steemed broccoli w/ roast beef.

I love all the vegetables, but some of my family members do not. Any roasted vegetable/s w/ balsamic makes a wonderful side for most occasions.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

With chicken, beef or seafood, any version of rice pilaf is good.  I usually add some peas and sometimes chopped carrots to the pilaf for extra nutrition.

Any type of potato dish.......roasted, made into potato salad, mashed, twice-baked, or just  a whole  white or sweet potato scrubbed, rubbed with oil, coated with coarse salt and baked at high temp until very well done. 

Respected Contributor

I like to make cucumber salad with beef stew. It’s pretty simple:

thinly sliced cucumbers and onions

salt and pepper to taste

equal amounts of sugar and white vinegar 

twice as much water as vinegar 

Dissolve the sugar in the water, then stir in the vinegar. Set aside.

Peel the cucumbers and onions, slice and combine in a ceramic or glass bowl.

Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. 

Pour the marinade over the cukes and onions and mix well.

Cover tightly, then refrigerate for several hours. 

This will hold hold well in the fridge for a couple of days, but the cukes start to get soft after that.

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

Our favorite side dish is green bean casserole. I'm usually elected to bring it. I know it's boring to some but sure do like it. I use a little more pepper in mine but follow the recipe on the French fried onions.

One of my all time favorites and have always followed the receipe on the onion ring container as well.  This year I just happened to come across a receipe I had never seen before that called for adding a container of vegetable cream cheese spread.  It was so good that my DDL ate the leftover for her breakfast she could not wait until lunch.  I boutht some more of all at the store just this morning to make again for our next lunch together in two weeks.  Try it you will love it @OKPrincess

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 Adding vegetable cream cheese sounds tasty. Thanks for the tip plus it's easy enough.

Super Contributor

Potatoes, macaroni and cheese, or a salad

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

@beckyb1012 Adding vegetable cream cheese sounds tasty. Thanks for the tip plus it's easy enough.

Easy is my middle name @OKPrincess.  I just mixed in well with the mushroom soup before I added other ingredients so there would be no chunks of it in one bite.  Saved a bit for myself to dip a couple of chips in each day since Christmas and love it.  I think I bought the ingredients today more for myself to do that again than my sweet DDL's request.Heart

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Potato Salad:

2 pounds red potatoes, boiled and cubed

6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped

1/2 pound bacon, crumbled (optional)

2 scallions, chopped

3 stalks celery, chopped

1 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip (whichever you prefer)

1 cup sour cream

8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese

Mix potatoes with mayonnaise/Miracle Whip and sour cream.  Mix in eggs, bacon, scallions, celery, and cheese.  Let sit in refrigerator for 1 hour to cool and let flavors mix.