Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's your favorite fudge recipe? I may indulge in making some this year!!

@ECBG

Yours is a recipe I can do!   But, I don't know what "soft ball stage" means?   Also, could I had walnuts to it...how much?   And, one more question, can I cut recipe in half...what size pan?   Thanks...this looks yummy.   I see Noodle Bake and fudge for dinner in our future!  Smiley Wink

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF wrote:

@ECBG

Yours is a recipe I can do!   But, I don't know what "soft ball stage" means?   Also, could I had walnuts to it...how much?   And, one more question, can I cut recipe in half...what size pan?   Thanks...this looks yummy.   I see Noodle Bake and fudge for dinner in our future!  Smiley Wink

@MacDUFF,I never liked the actual pouring hot syrup into cold water and trying to feel it, so I spent a few dollars for a candy thermometer.  Works like a dream!

Sorry I didn't include the nuts.  It's 1 cup, chopped.  Most of my homemade candies and cookies do have nuts, so here I like the velvet consistancy of this fudge.

Your DH will want the pan!

Also, any time I do anything to cut into a bar, when I line the pan (this case parchment unless you want to butter), I let the foil, or parchment come out about eight inches on each end.    When the item cools, I place the container on the table with a large cutting board just next to the top side.  I roll up the ends and lift the entire recipe of fudge, bar cookie, and place it on the cutting board.  I can cut it perfectly!  

Apparently, someone uses the same thing to keep their casserole warm.  LOL!  Works great.  Just gather the edges and they become handles!

Image result for casserole lined with aluminum foil

-------

Respected Contributor

Mom always made such great fudge but she died very young.  Every attempt my sister or I tried to make it (it was one requiring use of a candy thermometer) our attempts either never set or set too quickly cuz we'd passed that required stage - it was so easy to miss that.  I've since been able to make one like posted here which requires no cooking and no thermometer - by microwaving the chips but now my issue is living alone and eating it all by myself.  

Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012  That sounds just like the peanut butter and chocolate fudge that I make!  It is so good, I have to take it to work to keep from eating it all.  

Thank you everyone for all the receipes, I found some great ones that I'm going to try this year. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz

How thoughtful of you to post so many recipes!

Honored Contributor

I’ve been making that microwave fudge since the 9th grade @Nightowlz

i love it and for not taking much effort it tastes great!  I’m not patient enough to use a candy thermometer except for divinity. Thanks for posting!!

Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@ECBG

@MacDUFF   Re: above question - I'm not ECBG (and hope she doesn't mind) but sounded like the thread was about to close.  Soft ball stage is the name given the temperature you need the liquid mixture to obtain if you are making it on top of the stove.    Soft ball stage is the optimum temperature reached for fudge, and can be determined by 2 different methods.  

It's 235 degrees and the easiest for me is to just use a candy thermometer and once it reaches that stage, get if off stove quickly.

Second method - keep an eye on the boiling liquid and you can often find how long it should take to get to that stage, start testing by getting a cup of cold water and you can drop a small bit into the water.  When you drop it in the water it should stay together enough so that you can make a "soft ball" that's pliable between your fingers. 

As I've stated above, I often have a hard time making fudge on the stove bc if you don't get it to the soft ball stage it won't set and if you let it go past even the slightest, the fudge hardens too quickly to the point you may not be able to even pour it into the pan bc it's hardened so fast.  I've had better luck these days with the microwave recipes!

Valued Contributor

Okay....I've been makingand testing many different recipes for fudge since waaay back in my teen years.  But, true confession....I now take the EASY way.  This is one of my favorites.... super creamy, always requested to make so, very yummy.

PEANUT BUTTER MELTAWAY FUDGE

1 lb. Milk Chocolate coating wafers, good quality (like a Merckens)

1 lb. White Chocolate coating wafers, good quality

3/4 jar of an 18 oz. good quality peanut butter

In a microwave safe bowl,

1. Put in milk chocolate wafers, first

2. Then white wafers on top.

3. Add peanut butter on top of this

DON'T MIX

4. Microwave 1 minute

5. Stir.  If all chocolate wafers are not melted, give 10-15 second intervals in microwave until you can stir smooth.

6. Pour into a foil lined & buttered 13'x9'x2" pan.

7. Let it set a few hours (or refrigerate to speed this process).

Honored Contributor

I have an old ,but very easy recipe ,for a fudge ring. It is soft and must be stored in the fridge

You use 1 bag of choc chips and 1 bag of butterscotch chips( don't use all choc ,or choc and peanut butter, it won't be as good)

You melt the chips together and stir in 1 can of condensed evaporated milk and add a couple tsp vanilla

Have some pecans ready, in a ring  shaped form ,on a  nice serving plate. Drop the mixture by spoonfulls ,onto the nuts. You can decorate with red and green candied cherries ,if you wish

This fudge so so good. It tastes so buttery, everyone loves it, and raves about it

Esteemed Contributor

@Financialgrl

@ECBG

Thank you both for the info on "soft ball" stage.  I'm close to pitiful in the kitchen and need simple and easy recipes where I don't have to buy any gadgets or play ball Smiley Very Happy.  Trust me, I won't be running out to buy a candy thermometer!   I can see it now...purge my closet to the bare bones and start collecting kitchen gadgets instead!  I have a problem obviously LOL!

Now @cherry's fudge recipe is my kind of recipe!!   I'm going to try it.   But, quick (pitiful) question:     Cherry, do I just plop spoonfuls on top of the nuts...I feel as if I should make an attempt to smooth the mixture out, or something.   Do you end up with plopped spoonfuls of fudge with nuts at the bottom or does the mixture "settle" into a ring that can be cut into pieces?  Smiley Frustrated

Thanks again y'all...I love fudge!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~