Honored Contributor

What's the purpose of eggs in mac and cheese?

My slow cooker recipe for macaroni and cheese calls for three beaten eggs. I've been eliminating them because I don't see the point. After a three hour cook time, it comes out creamy, but I wonder if I should follow the recipe and see if it makes a difference.

Respected Contributor

Re: What's the purpose of eggs in mac and cheese?

When I make my homemade mac and cheese, I beat an egg into the milk mixture.  I am guessing it is a binder - not sure really!

Honored Contributor

My mother, normally a good cook, had a mac and cheese recipe with eggs which I suppose thickened the concoction.  They curdled and I though the whole mess was disgusting.  Haven't like mac & cheese since. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@AuntG 

The eggs are indeed a binder and create more of a solid texture to the macaroni and cheese.   

I do not want that solid texture to my macaroni and cheese, and never add eggs or milk.  

Honored Contributor

I see no purpose at all.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, the eggs are a binder. I grew up with the Southern, Soul food version of macaroni and cheese. The kind with eggs.

The eggs set up to create a firm casserole that you can slice into squares to serve -- it's not a creamy, saucy dish like some are use to.

I enjoy both kinds. But when I got married my dh liked the creamy version. This is the kind his mom made. She also added Velveeta with the cheddar cheese and no eggs. I started making it and my sons, of course, also like this kind. Through the years, I sometimes combine the two recipes making a less but still somewhat creamy version. Sometimes I have a craving for the Southern kind and make it(cheddar cheese, eggs. No Velveeta).

You can literally slice it or cut it! Both are delicious. It's the texture that's different. I guess it's what you're use too!😋

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

eggs are definitely a binder.  I don’t remember my mother using them in Mac and cheese, so I never do either, but she always used them in her noodle kugel.

Honored Contributor

Mom didn't use eggs in mac and cheese, we made a white sauce with added cheese and put that over cooked macaroni.

I never use eggs in meatloaf either.  Or dressing.  They turn out fine. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My mother, normally a good cook, had a mac and cheese recipe with eggs which I suppose thickened the concoction.  They curdled and I though the whole mess was disgusting.  Haven't like mac & cheese since. 

@Kachina624   I like Mac & Cheese with Hatch chilis.    Used to be in the frozen food case......but haven't seen it in YEARS around here.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi    That would be good. Otherwise it's just sticky kid's food. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment