Honored Contributor

Re: What's on your Easter menu?

@Blk&GoldFan wrote:

Everyone's menu items sound so yummy.  We will have a smaller family group this Easter as 5 of our family will be in Germany and Italy for soccer tournaments.  We will have Apricot glazed ham, Cheesy scalloped potatoes, Maple dill carrots.  Of course, mandatory Deviled Eggs.  My husband requests Pickled Beets & Eggs, too.  We'll add some salads and homemade pies, definitely a Banana Cream.  Looking at a recipe to try a Limoncello Cream Pie also.  We do an Easter Egg Hunt with the grandchildren each year (sometimes in the house if we have bad weather!!).  Last year, my daughter's thought the grandkids were getting too old, but we put coins in the plastic eggs and they race for the money AND compete for who finds all their eggs first!!  Great fun to see teenagers still having fun with their younger cousins!  Blessed Easter holiday to all.

@Blk&GoldFan

This brings to mind such a nice family day Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@CHATTY wrote:

Ham, raisin sauce, Paris potatoes, carrot salad, coconut torte, raisin rice pilaf, chicken and rice casserole, piselli, fruit salad, ricotta pie and trifle.  

Wonderful Smiley Happy   I love raisin sauce!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just started working on my menu this afternoon.  For now, here it is:

Apple, Dried Cherry, and Walnut Salad with Maple Dressing

QVC Recipe Swap | by PamelaSue72 on 10/23/2014

(All notes are PamelaSue's -- Mrs. G.)

Maple Dressing:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or other white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Salad:
1 (5-ounce) bag mixed baby greens (about 10 cups lightly packed)
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into matchstick-size strips
1/2 cup dried tart cherries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (I prefer pecans)

For dressing, whisk mayonnaise, maple syrup, vinegar, and sugar in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil until mixture thickens slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Dressing can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewhisk before using.)

For salad, toss greens, apples, cherries, and 1/4 cup walnuts in large bowl to combine. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Divide salad equally among plates. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts and serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.

Note: Since I don't like walnuts, I used sugared pecans instead. This makes a larger amount of salad dressing; instead of pouring it all on the salad, I put the dressing in a pretty bottle and people pour it on their individual salads.

Ham with Maple glaze

Roasted Asparagus

Orange Glazed Sweet Potatoes  recommended by @Terrier3 a while back

Pineapple Stuffing

Prosecco

3 Day Old Coconut Cake

QVC Recipe Swap | by Islandgirl7032 on April 17, 2012

(Notes are Islandgirl's -- Mrs. G.)

This is my very favorite and is often called Rotten Cake in my old Southern church cookbooks, because you should make it 3 days in advance, to let it sit in the fridge to become one of the moistest coconut cakes you'll ever taste! (If you can wait that long!)

1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
1 (16 oz.) container sour cream
1 cup white sugar (I used granulated)
1 (8 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (12 oz.) package of frozen coconut

Grease and flour two 9 inch pans. Prepare cake mix as directed , using milk in place of water (I used canned coconut milk).

Bake according to instructions on package. Let cake cool 5 minutes, remove from pans and cut in half, horizontally.

To make the filling:

Mix together the sour cream and sugar in a medium sized bowl, stir in the coconut. Reserve 1 cup of this mixture and slowly spread the rest on the cut cake layers and let it soak in.

Fold whipped topping into the remaining filling. Assemble layers and frost the outside of the cake.

Refrigerate from 1 to 3 days before serving (the longer, the moister!)

Allow slices to sit at room temp. 10-15 minutes before serving.

*Notes* - For Easter I dye some coconut green and sprinkle on top or make 'nests' of dyed coconut & add mini jelly beans to the nests.

You can also toast some coconut to sprinkle on top.

Works great using reduced fat sour cream and lite whipped topping too!

Mrs. G's note:   Following is the recommended ‘fix’ for using the new, smaller boxes in older recipes; however, I had an opened mix in the refrigerator, so I just added 6 Tablespoons of it to the batter.

Solution to smaller boxes of cake mix: The Cake Mix Doctor, Anne Byrn, wrote, “If you are finicky about baking and have a kitchen scale, weigh out 1.75 ounces of flour and add it to the bowl. • No scale? Measure 6 tablespoons flour and add it to the bowl. • Not so picky? Add somewhere between 1/3 and ½ cup flour to the cake mix before adding other ingredients. • No flour? Bake the smaller mixes in 8-inch instead of 9-inch layers and you will have taller layers.”

http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/30/p/858684/7395522.aspx

Edited to amend menu

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG

Thank you again, this time for sharing your menu and recipes.  Since I began participating on this board, it became obvious that you routinely share really good recipes and ideas.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates all you do for this board.

Respected Contributor

Care bear, the TV for today, April 5, is KC spiral ham @$59.  It is also being sold with sides for $79.  Hope you see this post.  And if someone posted this info, sorry for repeating.

Respected Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@Noel7 My husband will be working on Easter Sunday, so it will just be me so no special plans, we do try to celebrate the holiday later/earlier in the week and I wanted to serve Kansas City Ham, I have health issues that limit my sodium intake and I find that KC Ham is the ONLY ham that I can eat that does not send me into overdrive with the sodium content, I went to order one the other day and the only KC ham I could find was paired with a Prime Rib Roast and IMO $158.00 + was just not in our budget, they have several of the Smithfield Hams and a Rastelli Ham but not the best of reviews and since I have never tasted them I hate to spend that kind of money on items I might not be able to eat, has anyone ever tried these other 2 brands?

Care bears, plus see post 55.

Honored Contributor

Not sure but I do know will be nice day! My newly married niece & hubby hosting at their new home (a big task 35 of us!).

As I posted in another thread - Greg from KC steaks catered her recent wedding - every thing from appetizers to a spectacular filet mignon/lobster dinner to outstanding beautiful desserts was delicious!!!  Very high end caterer held at a beautiful estate in PA. He was there overseeing every aspect of the affair & most pleasant.

So I'm going to call her tomorrow about sending a KC ham to her. I've had the steaks & others have had the ham. (I will be in town

for Easter to help her). I do know everyone is bringing something - she is planning all those good "traditional" sides, deviled eggs, antipasto, candied sweet potatoes & homemade ricotta cream cheesecake, carrot cake (adults) cupcakes for the kids.

The most important item is our traditional "lamb" made from butter. My grandmother to my mother to me taking over hosting it was always a cute centerpiece on the table & Easter bread. Some traditions need to stay!

Happy Easter 🐰🐇 have a blessed day...now, I'm hungry after reading all these yummy menus!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@coffee drinker I had not seen your post until 12:08 PM on 4/5/2017 but I thank you for posting the information for me!

I had seen a promo was not sure what brand of ham it was going to be so I watched the presentation at 11:00 PM Central Time, and immediately ordered ours, YEAH!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since we're hosting this year, I asked everyone, including the kids, to tell me what they would want, so my menu is rather "interesting" and speaks to favs:

Corned Beef

Fried Chicken Legs

New Potatoes

Shoestring Potatoes

Bavarian Green Beans

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Half Steamed Carrots

Garlic Knots

Paris Breast (w/raspberries & creme pat)

Apfelkuchen

Chocolate Cupcakes w/chocolate frosting & sprinkles

Respected Contributor

Care bears,  thank goodness you saw my post before you bought a ham you may not have enjoyed.  Have a very happy Easter.