Honored Contributor

Re: What's on your Easter menu?

I wasn't aware of warm fruit compote before, I did a little research and found most are the combination of canned pears, canned peaches and pineapple tidbits with brown sugar and a little butter.  Different sources add different other ingredients.

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7. Thanks for the compliment, we were raised on a farm, so yes I know a lot about being self sufficient. We grew our food, butchered animals, churned butter, milkEd cows made lard soap.we were taught to sew and knit, can etc. The men did the field work. But I can drive a tractor

I am only in my early 60s, I went to nursing school, but it's a comfort to know I can take care of my family if I had to.  I don't want to, that's hard, hard work.

Honored Contributor

My family must be piggie wiggies.  We always have leg of lamb, a ham, usually a stuffed chicken and homemade pasta, meatballs with homemade sauce,

This is served with mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and oven roasted brown potatoes in the lamb juice.  

Also, green beans, asparagus and corn.  We always have a green salad, and a antipasto plate and a cheese and cracker plate.  There is usually a crab dip with homemade bread cut into small pieces for dipping

For dessert, we always have coconut cake with jelly beans on top, usually small cupcake sized cheese cakes and cookies and a pie.. either apple or pecan, sometimes both and homemade Easter candy.

Everything is homemade from scratch.  No cheating by buying already made items.

We have a large family gathering of at least 30 people up to about 50 people including kids and babies. There are usually people at dinner who have no where else to go and they are invited by family members to join us.   We welcome all, a tradition from my paternal grandmother and my father,

Our holiday dinners are loud and crazy.  They remind me of the scene from " My Big Fat Greek Wedding" except we are Italian.

The only thing I hate is the clean up.  No paper plates are used, so we have a ton of dishes to wash.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

My family must be piggie wiggies.  We always have leg of lamb, a ham, usually a stuffed chicken and homemade pasta, meatballs with homemade sauce,

This is served with mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and oven roasted brown potatoes in the lamb juice.  

Also, green beans, asparagus and corn.  We always have a green salad, and a antipasto plate and a cheese and cracker plate.  There is usually a crab dip with homemade bread cut into small pieces for dipping

For dessert, we always have coconut cake with jelly beans on top, usually small cupcake sized cheese cakes and cookies and a pie.. either apple or pecan, sometimes both and homemade Easter candy.

Everything is homemade from scratch.  No cheating by buying already made items.

We have a large family gathering of at least 30 people up to about 50 people including kids and babies. There are usually people at dinner who have no where else to go and they are invited by family members to join us.   We welcome all, a tradition from my paternal grandmother and my father,

Our holiday dinners are loud and crazy.  They remind me of the scene from " My Big Fat Greek Wedding" except we are Italian.

The only thing I hate is the clean up.  No paper plates are used, so we have a ton of dishes to wash.

It's not that you all are piggies, @Carmie  Smiley Happy

It's that there are a lot of you, lol.  There are only three of us.  I'd like more sides because that's what fiests are, a lot of different food. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7. When I attend/prepare a feast like that, I get overwhelmed by all of the food and I'm not hungry.  I usually eat a salad and some protein.  ( and some chocolate candy)

All the extra food is sent home with the guests, so when I am finally hungry for some of the foods the next day, it's all gone.

I should have this figured out because it happens often.

Respected Contributor

I'm looking forward to Easter as my younger daughter and younger grandson will be with us then. I plan on a dinner at home, with ham, scalloped potatoes , etc.

Sunday is normally a no cook day for me, but this will be an exception. Almost forgot that I'll probably do up some Easter eggs and have some candy on hand for all to enjoy.

Esteemed Contributor

Weather has been so great we're grilling KC strip steaks (NY strip if I lived in northeast). Sides are mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy, roasted vegetables with macaroni & cheese, sliced cucumber / onions / pepper / sugar & vinegar 'pickles.' Hawaiian rolls. Strawberry dessert with pretzel crust - chocolate bundt cake with holes poked and caramel sauce,  chocolate sauce & pour over top, frosted with whipped cream    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

DS want's prime-rib, twice baked potatoes, sauteed mushrooms with shallots, a green salad, my home-made rolls...probably strawberry shortcakes for dessert

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Noel7. When I attend/prepare a feast like that, I get overwhelmed by all of the food and I'm not hungry.  I usually eat a salad and some protein.  ( and some chocolate candy)

All the extra food is sent home with the guests, so when I am finally hungry for some of the foods the next day, it's all gone.

I should have this figured out because it happens often.

Uh, oh @Carmie

I get you, I'm kind of the same way, especially after all the cooking, I don't necessarily want to dive in. 

I love leftovers, the best part of Thanksgiving imo  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

I'm looking forward to Easter as my younger daughter and younger grandson will be with us then. I plan on a dinner at home, with ham, scalloped potatoes , etc.

Sunday is normally a no cook day for me, but this will be an exception. Almost forgot that I'll probably do up some Easter eggs and have some candy on hand for all to enjoy.

That sounds perfect @StylishLady  Smiley Happy  My mother always made ham with scalloped potatoes for Easter dinner.